Upgrading path I7 or Ryzen 7

chris_360

Commendable
Dec 30, 2016
I am conisdering upgrading my current I5 cpu to either a I7 7700k or switching sides and going to a ryzen 7 1800x i mainly game but would like to future proof my self a bit

Solution
I have the 7700k but to be honest... if I did use my brain just alittle bit more I would have gone for the 1800X myself and the reason is simple.
I normaly just use the computer for games, and yes the 7700k is better than the 1800X when it comes to that. But...
lets just say that in X game you will get 150 fps with the 7700k and with the 1800x you get 140 fps.

Do you really see any difference what so ever? Some will say yes and some will say no but for me. No I would not

So to sum it up real easy:
7700k = Superb at games.
1800X = Superb at overall computer usage
I7 7700k is king for gaming no question. Bad thing with Intel though is they normally change sockets when they go to a new cpu.

What are you planning to do with the system? If gaming, i7 will be a little better. But the 1800x is still going to do well. If you are doing multiple things at once, the 1800x is going to do better at that and workstation tasks. Depending on your budget, a lot of reviews say if you go ryzen 7 look at the 1700 and overclock it. Still 8 core, but you save some money with it. Most Ryzen chips seem to get a wall at about 4 GHz, some get lucky and get 4.1 or so.

The advantage and will have is that supposedly they will support the am4 socket until 2020. So you may be able to drop a better chip in there in 2 or 3 years.

Depending on your budget, you may also take a hard look at the R5 1600. It's 6 core and 12 thread instead of 8 core 16 thread. So you get a lot of the performance of the r7, but save a little that can go into a better GPU which will make not difference in gaming than the cpu.

I have the 7700k but to be honest... if I did use my brain just alittle bit more I would have gone for the 1800X myself and the reason is simple.
I normaly just use the computer for games, and yes the 7700k is better than the 1800X when it comes to that. But...
lets just say that in X game you will get 150 fps with the 7700k and with the 1800x you get 140 fps.

Do you really see any difference what so ever? Some will say yes and some will say no but for me. No I would not

So to sum it up real easy:
7700k = Superb at games.
1800X = Superb at overall computer usage

Solution

TRENDING THREADS