Upgrading Pavillion a210n

jay

Hello,
I have an a210n and it doesn't have an agp slot. Everything else
about this pc is great, but the video card is terrible. What is the
cheapest solution that I can use to get a motherboard with an agp slot.
I have a few ideas, but I don't know which is best. I can buy a new
motherboard, power supply, and case and build myself a pc. I was also
thinking about maybe just getting a better hp motherboard that would
fit into my system, I just figured this would be the easiest solution.
Thanks.

Jay wrote:
> Hello,
> I have an a210n and it doesn't have an agp slot. Everything else
> about this pc is great, but the video card is terrible. What is the
> cheapest solution that I can use to get a motherboard with an agp slot.
> I have a few ideas, but I don't know which is best. I can buy a new
> motherboard, power supply, and case and build myself a pc. I was also
> thinking about maybe just getting a better hp motherboard that would
> fit into my system, I just figured this would be the easiest solution.
> Thanks.

You've got an ASUS P4G533 motherboard in that computer. HP doesn't make
motherboards for consumer PeeCees. Or the power supplies, or cases, or
anything else. That's why you can buy junky computers like this at big
box stores for $500.

HP does not make a better Socket 478 microATX motherboard. You need to find a
Socket 478 microATX board with an AGP slot. Check the Intel web site for models
which meet your requirements. Also check the Asus web site.

Once you've switched motherboards, you may need to do another activation of XPee
with Micro$oft. Also, the HP restore software is keyed to the HP BIOS, so
you'll need to make plans to rebuild the operating system differently if you
need to do so. Finally, some of the software bundled with HP systems is
likewise keyed to the HP BIOS and may not run with a replacement motherboard.

AFAIK, HP uses microATX motherboards with standard power connector and various
connectors to the front panel... Ben Myers

On 22 Apr 2005 15:42:21 -0700, "Jay" <jayjaggard@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hello,
> I have an a210n and it doesn't have an agp slot. Everything else
>about this pc is great, but the video card is terrible. What is the
>cheapest solution that I can use to get a motherboard with an agp slot.
> I have a few ideas, but I don't know which is best. I can buy a new
>motherboard, power supply, and case and build myself a pc. I was also
>thinking about maybe just getting a better hp motherboard that would
>fit into my system, I just figured this would be the easiest solution.
>Thanks.

jay

That is all the info that I needed Ben. Thank you. And David, you
didn't answer any of my questions or tell me anything I didn't already
know.

jay

Alright, so I'm going to go ahead and buy a new motherboard. I'm
looking at an ASUS motherboard. I really don't want to spend over 100
bucks on it, but I don't want to downgrade from what I have right now.
I am looking at the P4P800-VM and P4B533-VM. Any ideas? Oh, and do
you have to get a new power supply if you get a new motherboard?
Thanks.

Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 20:51:36 -0600

You've got an ASUS P4G533 motherboard in that computer. HP
doesn't make motherboards for consumer PeeCees. Or the power
supplies, or cases, or anything else. That's why you can buy
junky computers like this at big box stores for $500.

Ah... junky computers are the best! Why spend more when it is
obsolete as soon as you walk out of the door with it? Maybe you like
taking a $1000 hit when you walk out of the door, but I don't.
<grin>

Yup, back in the '80's I used to spend $2000 on each computer. Later
in the '90's, I got smart and started buying the cheapies. At last
count, I believe I still have around 16 computers here. And all but
2 still works fine. I only have three on the network though. But I
am thinking of throwing 2 more online as well.

Cheers!

Bill (using a Toshiba 2595XDVD under Windows 2000)
-- written and edited within WordStar 5.0

As long as you stick to the same collection of devices, CPU and memory as in the
original, the HP power supply should be adequate. But change to a faster CPU,
add more memory, or add another device (2nd hard drive, DVD burner, etc) and the
system may well push beyond the limits of the HP power supply. HP is not known
for over-engineering the Pavilion power supplies... Ben Myers