[SOLVED] Upgrading PC and got a question about GPU

CrownedClownBG

Reputable
Mar 5, 2019
Hey all,
So recently I started having thoughts on buying a new PC, but knowing that new Ryzen processors will probably come out this year + possibly DDR5 RAM I thought that maybe delaying the new PC with 1 year(or more) might not be a bad idea.

So instead of buying a new PC I'm thinking of replacing some old parts.

My specs are:

ASROCK B85M PRO4 LGA1150
I5-4570
8GB DDR3 1600 KINGSTON HYPERX(userbenchmark showed it's the savage series not that it matters tbh)
Asus NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 OC DirectCU II
1T SG SATA 6G
CM N300 BLACK
PSU FORTRON RIDER 550 BRONZE
Monitor - 2560:1080 - Gaming LED IPS LG 25", UltraWide 25UM58-P

So I decided to add another 16GB of RAM. 16GB because I found cheap 1x8GB and the MB is dual channel. I can get 2x4GB for the same price as 2x8GB, so might as well get the 2x8GB right?
I'll add a cheap SSD - L3 Evo 240GB

And I want to repalce the GTX 760 with a second hand card. With the craze over mining there are a lot of good cards with 18-24++ months on warranty and with good prices.

My question is I saw a cheap MSI GeForce GTX 1060 ARMOR 6G OCV1. Is it any good? Asking for this one because I see it's OCV1. It's with 2 year warranty.

To give you an idea on the price(about $167) for the same money if I wait I can maybe get a 580 8GB with 2 years or less warranty(usually a lot less like about 1 year) if I really wait patiently that is, because usually for that price at best I can find 580 4GB or possibly if lucky again 570 8GB. GTX 1060 3GB are like $30 cheaper, BUT most are with less than 1 year warranty and I'd prefer to have at least 16-18 months left just to be sure.
As for new. Those particular cards go for at least $100-$200 more.

Also since I'll be adding an SSD + 16GB RAM + new GPU(if I'm not mistaken my GPU is 175W while the 1060 6GB is 120W and most 580 are 185W(think I saw 230W as well) will my PSU be enough?
Btw when I was checking the box for my PSU I noticed that it's actually different from the Bronze version I supposedly ordered. The box for the Bronze had clear sign showing it's Bronze(checked it recently so maybe newer box), but my box has no indication however inside, the manual says Silver. I opened the case but the writing with the model of the PSU is facing towards the inner wall of the case and I can't see if it's bronze or silver, however it should be noted that it's without a doubt that. What I mean it's not like the place I got it from scammed me or anything because it's really reputable company in my country. My guess is that it's possible that they were out of Bronze and installed a Silver instead or maybe it's Bronze, but the manual for all PSU from this model back then used the Silver manual book(a lot of stuff have a generic manual that usually doesn't even correspond to the right model. For example my AC got a manual for different model, but their functions are the same so they use this generic manual).

Mind your language.
This is a family friendly site.
Lutfij

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
That Fortron PSU will definitely need to go. You will need a reliable PSU that's got at least 450W to power the entire system if you want to go for a GTX1060 6GB. Also as an interim solution, you should look at the GTX1060 6GB as opposed to the RX580.

Lutfij

Titan
That Fortron PSU will definitely need to go. You will need a reliable PSU that's got at least 450W to power the entire system if you want to go for a GTX1060 6GB. Also as an interim solution, you should look at the GTX1060 6GB as opposed to the RX580.

Solution