[SOLVED] Upgrading PC and installing Win10 on new ssd. Is it ok if i do it without formatting either of my original drives?

Akabuu

Commendable
Mar 21, 2017
Currently have a PC with 2 drives and Windows 7 installed in one of them. I'm gonna be upgrading some parts also changing to Windows 10. As backing up important files is a mess and more often than not something gets left behind and only notice it when it's too late, i was wondering... Could i just install Win10 on my new ssd and leave the other 2 drives as they are? Would i still be able to easily access them, just like i can access my current 2nd drive? Would i have to set it up when installing Win10? Not my intention, but is my idea basically how you dual boot?
Appreciate any help anyone can give. Thanks very much!

Solution
OK, no problem.
No dualboot action needed.

Build up the system.
Install only the desired SSD.
Install Win 10 (see below)

Later, connect the other old drives, and you can access them as needed. Not booting into the Win 7 OS, but just as secondary drive(s).

USAFRet

Titan
There are multiple ways to get you to where you want to be, depending on what you want the outcome to be.

Dual boot? It can be done, but what are you looking for with that?

Installing a Win 10 on the new drive means either you Upgrade the current Win 7 license to Win 10...negating the WIn 7 license.
Or, you purchase a valid license for Win 10.

Also, installing the Win 10 on the SSD will not let you use the applications in the Win 7 install.
Your personal files, yes. Applications, no.

And you should always have a backup during a major change like this.

WE can plan a way forward, depending on what you want the end state to be.

Akabuu

Commendable
Mar 21, 2017
There are multiple ways to get you to where you want to be, depending on what you want the outcome to be.

Dual boot? It can be done, but what are you looking for with that?

Installing a Win 10 on the new drive means either you Upgrade the current Win 7 license to Win 10...negating the WIn 7 license.
Or, you purchase a valid license for Win 10.

Also, installing the Win 10 on the SSD will not let you use the applications in the Win 7 install.
Your personal files, yes. Applications, no.

And you should always have a backup during a major change like this.

WE can plan a way forward, depending on what you want the end state to be.
The end state I'm aiming for is to have:
Drive 1 (new ssd) to have a clean install of Win10
Drive 2 (currently win7) to be accessible to just to pull files out to Drive 1 or Drive 3. This is mainly during the transition period just in case i remember some files i didn't backup. So just a safeguard. Then later I'll likely format it clean.
Drive 3, just stay as is. It already has most things i want to keep.
No worries on apps not working, i figured id have to grab them again.

Regarding backing up like you said, should i backup the [drive 3] backup?

USAFRet

Titan
OK, no problem.
No dualboot action needed.

Build up the system.
Install only the desired SSD.
Install Win 10 (see below)

Later, connect the other old drives, and you can access them as needed. Not booting into the Win 7 OS, but just as secondary drive(s).

Reactions: Akabuu
Solution

USAFRet

Titan
Just that easy, huh?
Sweet! Thanks a lot! :D

So, later just connecting the drives should add them automatically? No action required?
After the system is fully running on the new drive, yes...just connect the old ones.
They should just appear as other drive letters.

Verify the boot order in the BIOS, to ensure that the new Win 10 drive is first. That way, it will not try to boot from the old Win 7 drive.

Reactions: Akabuu