Upgrading PC: CPU, RAM, MOBO

Astro RAM

Distinguished
May 15, 2014
Here are the current parts I have that I am Replacing:
RAM: 16GB DDR3
CPU: AMD FX 8320
MOBO: ASUS M5A97 R2.0

I already own a gtx 1070, thanks to the holidays. My PSU is either 550 or 600 thermaltake, I will update when I get exact number. I use this rig to game heavily on and stream to youtube and twitch. Along with doing a lot of graphic design work for school and personal projects using Adobe cloud and other programs (learning Blender).

Of course though this will be use for gaming, lots for my streams. Also, I am starting to edit videos aswell on it.I asked back a few months ago and the CPU I was interested in was either and i5 or i7. But new stuff has been released and I am now curious about the verdict. Also I know its important, but my budget is $400-$500. This also caution to change, because my main focus is the CPU and MOBO as it'll be the most expensive. RAM will be bought later, as my parents may help out a bit with this build. But you know, best possible bang for your buck is also helpful.

Edit:
I forgot to mention this, but i plan to game at 1080p 60fps+. Screen may change later, but currently it's at 1920x1080p until i move up to a 4k monitor and even then I doubt I will game at 4k heavily. Also for streams I stream at 1080p but downscale to 720p for streaming purpose. Framerate is locked at 30 only because of internet provider.

Solution

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator

Astro RAM

Distinguished
May 15, 2014

Astro RAM

Distinguished
May 15, 2014

Will this big good for gaming and work loads? Work load AKA video editing, graphic design work(This stretches across many adobe appications), and streaming.

Check also my edited post as there is more info on other things.

And if it helps games that being played are Overwatch, Player Unknowns Battle Royale, Arma 3, Subnautica, and maybe some other AAA games. And other possible early access games

I modified another build suggested here.The 1700 will be better equipped for your needs.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($316.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-AB350M-Gaming 3 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($88.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $465.85
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-05-04 19:13 EDT-0400

16GB is necessary with your tasks in mind. You might be counting chickens before they are hatched. Should your parents not help out with RAM another 8GB is necessary. Buying two different RAM kits does add a wrinkle. They will usually work together but not always. You could just save your money and not buy the RAM. Then again independence has its value.

Astro RAM

Distinguished
May 15, 2014

I fully intend to buy a full 16gb set as my current 16gb is not entirely outdated but needs an upgrade. The mobo may need to change, i have a large case already plus I am not hundred percent sure about my GPU fitting on there. I do intend to wait and see when deals pop up, as I am not in an immediate hurry to replace parts. My only concern is how does the Ryzen series perform for the tasks I want to do. Obviously Intel is preferred but a bit pricey. I just want to make sure this build is not "Future Proof" but will last me awhile.

I understand, I'm an intel fanboy myself. The reason weve suggested ryzen is because they are way ahead in the performance per dollar for tasks like editing, rendering etc

Because of the tasks you mentioned +streaming, if you're going intel id suggest an i7 minimum

Astro RAM

Distinguished
May 15, 2014

Yeah I'd like to get intel. But you know, that pricing.

Well for gaming and streaming and editing you guys mention Ryzen is good. I'm not against the suggestions you guys are making. I just want to pick the right one for my investment. I'm getting heavy into streaming and dont want my stream or gaming to take anything harsh to performance. So that is why I am wary of Ryzen.

So which version of Ryzen should i get? As it is right now its my best shot for my range of prices.

So here's an intel i7 build for comparison:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor ($294.89 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock B250 Pro4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($66.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Flare X 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($102.00 @ Newegg)
Total: $463.88
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-05-05 03:59 EDT-0400

For Ryzen, I'd suggest the r5 1600 as it comes with a free cooler. Faster ram is ideal, and either of the motherboards listed in this thread would serve you well.

If this was just a high end gaming machine I would easily offer the 7700K. However this rig will also be performing a lot of productivity tasks which makes the 1700(x) the best possible value and performer imo.

How long has it been since I suggested an AMD build before Ryzen CPUs were released? I can't remember.

Solution

Astro RAM

Distinguished
May 15, 2014

The normal 1600 or 1600x? I've read that their are some minor differences but is there some big gap between them? Also didn't know they came with coolers, doesn't matter since i already have an after market cooler lol.

Astro RAM

Distinguished
May 15, 2014

I'll do some more indepth research. But for now I might settle on the 1700x or 1700 like @aquielisunari mentioned. And if the budget doesn't cut it I'll go for the 1600. Will these mobo suggested above work with the 1700 series if I go I with it?