Question Upgrading PC, Currently running a Ryzen 3700x on a X370 Mobo. WHAT TO UPGRADE TOO?

moe2o56

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
So I been wanting to upgrade my PC and not sure if I should wait until the 2nd half of this year for Ryzen 7000 series which was just teased this morning at CES.

Current PC Specs:
Ryzen 3700x on x370 motherboard & 32gb ram 3200mhz
Nvidia RTX 3090 reference card
Samsung G9 Neo 49" display 5120 x 1440p.
Noctua DH15 CPU Cooler

So was debating on spending a little over 1k and getting a new LGA 1700 mobo with DDR4 and a Intel 12900k. I strictly use the PC for gaming, Hell let Loose and Battlefield mostly. From what I've researched that upgrade would yield a 40% boost in performance.

Would love to hear some people's input!
Thanks!

Hey there,

Well, an upgrade would certainly push more FPS. You could just go with a 5xxx CPU for a 20% boost in most games, and which would feed the 3090 nicely. The reason I suggest that is, getting the 12900k (which is a stellar CPU), along with a DDR4 mobo, whilst sufficient, really locks you into DDR4. Waiting and pairing the 12900k with a DDR5 mobo makes sense. Yes, I know it's hard as finding hens teeth to get DDR5 right now, or at least even a reasonable price. But, it does give your performance room to grow as DDR5 matures, which will be much better than DDR4 based system. So a 5xxx series for a quick boost, and wait for DDR5 and pricing to settle might be a good way to go. Just my two cents!

moe2o56

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
Hey there,

Well, an upgrade would certainly push more FPS. You could just go with a 5xxx CPU for a 20% boost in most games, and which would feed the 3090 nicely. The reason I suggest that is, getting the 12900k (which is a stellar CPU), along with a DDR4 mobo, whilst sufficient, really locks you into DDR4. Waiting and pairing the 12900k with a DDR5 mobo makes sense. Yes, I know it's hard as finding hens teeth to get DDR5 right now, or at least even a reasonable price. But, it does give your performance room to grow as DDR5 matures, which will be much better than DDR4 based system. So a 5xxx series for a quick boost, and wait for DDR5 and pricing to settle might be a good way to go. Just my two cents!

Ya it would make sense to get DDR5 but its so expensive and hard to come by for sure. Only reason why I was thinking Intel and i9 12900k is the only way for me to upgrade to a 5xxx series amd chip is I got to get a x570 mobo. So either route I got to upgrade my mobo to get either chip.

artk2219

Distinguished
So I been wanting to upgrade my PC and not sure if I should wait until the 2nd half of this year for Ryzen 7000 series which was just teased this morning at CES.

Current PC Specs:
Ryzen 3700x on x370 motherboard & 32gb ram 3200mhz
Nvidia RTX 3090 reference card
Samsung G9 Neo 49" display 5120 x 1440p.
Noctua DH15 CPU Cooler

So was debating on spending a little over 1k and getting a new LGA 1700 mobo with DDR4 and a Intel 12900k. I strictly use the PC for gaming, Hell let Loose and Battlefield mostly. From what I've researched that upgrade would yield a 40% boost in performance.

Would love to hear some people's input!
Thanks!

If im being honest, youre not exactly suffering, I would just hold off until AM5 and see what the landscape looks like at that point. You should be able to roll with your current setup for the next year or five without any real problems hah.

moe2o56

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
If im being honest, youre not exactly suffering, I would just hold off until AM5 and see what the landscape looks like at that point. You should be able to roll with your current setup for the next year or five without any real problems hah.

Ya that's also what I was contemplating. Waiting to the 2nd half of this year to see what AM5 brings to the table.

Reactions: artk2219
Ya it would make sense to get DDR5 but its so expensive and hard to come by for sure. Only reason why I was thinking Intel and i9 12900k is the only way for me to upgrade to a 5xxx series amd chip is I got to get a x570 mobo. So either route I got to upgrade my mobo to get either chip.
Yes, my bad. Good spot. 5xxx series will not run on X370! I should have picked that up. I'd still recommend waiting. Your system as is is still plenty potent as @artk2219 mentioned.

Reactions: moe2o56
hi

An improvement would, without a doubt, increase the number of frames per second. For a 20% improvement in most games, a 5xxx CPU would enough, and it would feed the 3090 well. The reason I recommend this is that purchasing the 12900k (which is a fantastic CPU) and a DDR4 mobo, while adequate, effectively locks you into DDR4. It makes sense to wait and use a DDR5 motherboard with the 12900k. Yes, I realize getting DDR5 at all, much alone at a fair price, is like finding hen's teeth right now. However, when DDR5 matures, it will provide you with significantly higher performance than a DDR4-based system. So, for a rapid boost, go with the 5xxx series and wait for DDR5 and cost to come down.

Did you just copy my post and change the wording slightly? Creative solution! ;)

Reactions: artk2219