[SOLVED] Upgrading PC for 1050 gtx

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
I'm running an overclocked amd 750k and I want to upgrade the PC on a budget to remove the bottleneck. Bang for the buck I'm leaning towards salvaging the CPU/Mobo/ram from a prebuilt and transferring it to my Antec 900 case.

My issue is making sure I get a computer with no proprietary parts for the case transfer and I'm still debating on turning my leftover parts into a media server or something.

Things I'm going to use again:
PSU (450watt I think, lowest I would buy anyway I'm not at home to verify)
HDD/sdd
2x4gbb ddr3, possibly use the goal is 16gb dual channel as the end result
Antec 900 case
Xonar DG, pci soundcard with headphone amp I use
1050 GTX

So far this one has caught my eye, I didn't look too much into dells as I heard they have a proprietary setup from the sounds of it. And I wasn't too sure of HP. If anyone can clarify this it would be greatly appreciated.

https://m.newegg.com/products/1VK-0003-04MG1

Solution

The MB will cost you about $100 by itself USED.... That's what they are running now because they know they can get it.

I just checked the ave prices, they aren't cheap, going to cost you more than you think.

CPU's.. I5's are running from about $70 and up USED.

Then you have to buy ram... DDR3 memory, will run you about $60 and up for 16GB of good USED memory.

It all will run you at least...
Honestly, if you're doing a dirt cheap gaming system, you could pick up something like this.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Optiplex-990-Desktop-MT-i7-2600-3-40GHZ-8GB-Ram-500GB-HD-Discrete-AMD/223351636424?hash=item3400cb81c8%3Ag%3AnzYAAOSw4ntcUOlT&LH_BIN=1

Upgrade the memory using your old stuff. Pop in a better PSU. Take off the cooler and repaste the cpu. Toss in a gtx 1060 6gb or if you can find an RX 570 8gb that would fit that should work nicely also.

We've actually still got some of those at work. I bought one for my wife's home office from work. Put an EVGA 600b PSU that I had spare in it, upped it to 16gb ram, traded the spinning hard drive for a 500gb SSD. The one I got had an i7 3770 though. But with the extra ram and SSD, that system runs like lightning.

I'm sure it would throw down if I'd put a decent GPU into it.

But I would lean toward the Dell optiplex systems. Stay away from the small form factor ones. I can't speak to fitting in a new case, and you will probably have to figure out the from panel wiring, but PSU, ram etc seem easily replaceable. If you can get a mini tower like this though, you would probably be better off to put your system into that case so your don't have to meet with the proprietary front panel connections.

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
Just bought a 1050gtx last year so I’m not quite ready to replace that just yet. One of my big issues is I have 4 hdd (including the ssd) so I imagine quite a few cases won’t be ideal for me. The dell you posted sadly doesn’t have the storage space for that.

How well do you think a normal i5 2500 will do, most things I read were positive for driving a 1050ti which is more powerful than my gtx.

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
Right now I'm between an i5 3570 or i5 4590, seems their close in performance and it will come down to motherboards I find. I gave up on doing a prebuilt and salvaging parts, so I'm going to try to source used parts.

The i7 2600k has the two i5 chips beat in multithreaded tasks that can fully utilize it I think. But both i5 chips will beat it in single thread. So I'm leaning towards the i5's as I think any of these will bring out my 1050gtx full performance and I could probably ustalilize the single thread performance more.

As usual any advice or tips are appreciated, thanks in advance.

Eventually you will want a more modern platform.

Here's another option since you are talking used. Have you considered getting an am4 platform and maybe grabbing the athlon 200ge? Granted performance might not be as great now but it would get you on am4 socket, and you could upgrade into ryzen in the next year or something. So yes you'd sacrifice a little now, but at least you wouldn't be on a dead end platform.

Another thing you want to think, a lot of games and apps are starting to get more multithreaded. So you may benefit more from the i7 if you go used and decide to keep it a few years.

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
Thought about it, biggest issue was moving up to 16gb would be close to $100 by itself with ddr4. And currently I'm looking at $150 give or take a little for the used path for Mobo, ram, CPU, heatsink.

I can't justify the funds for an Ryzen build in comparison to going used. I have the funds to do it, justifying it though is another story.

Those used MB's in good condition and working are going to be expensive, ones worth buying that is.

I would say you would be better off buying new in the end for what you get.

I wouldn't go more than a generation or two back, you lose too much performance once you get older than that for the money.

The MB will cost you about $100 by itself USED.... That's what they are running now because they know they can get it.

I just checked the ave prices, they aren't cheap, going to cost you more than you think.

CPU's.. I5's are running from about $70 and up USED.

Then you have to buy ram... DDR3 memory, will run you about $60 and up for 16GB of good USED memory.

It all will run you at least $230 plus shipping depending on what you can find and if it all actually works.

You will be better off buying new as I said, at least you know what you are getting and you won't get ripped off.

Buying new will only cost you about $60 more or less than used.... And it will be NEW parts that will work and all have a warranty.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($91.99 @ Walmart)
Motherboard: Asus - TUF X470-PLUS GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($104.99 @ Newegg Business)
Total: $296.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-02-03 00:23 EST-0500

Solution

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
Order placed I ended up dropping down to i5 4570 and Asus Q87M-E/CSM motherboard $122 total, heat sink included with the 4570. Missed out on a nice set of 2x4gb ram by a few hours for $33, that would have paired up nicely with the 2x4gb ram I already have.

Motherboard was the hardest part to find with what I wanted. Made sure both had return polices, 30 and 60 days. So I’m going to stress test the machine when it comes in.

I’m only driving the 1050gtx and once this is unsuitable for my needs I’m doing a full rebuild. Should be in a few years as I’m usually 1-2years behind on current games as I wait for good sales.

Not terrible, but seems like you could have gone newer and maybe dropped to a b450 board to save a few dollars and then resold your old equipment. To cover some of the cost. For example, going with socket am4 would have meant that next year or so, you probably could have upgraded that quad core to a lot faster and more multithreaded cpu with a bios update.

But those older Intel parts are decent, but unfortunately since of them aren't the bargain they were say a year ago because people realized there's money to be made.

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
I have no need for the athlon 200ge, the Ryzen 1200 or 2200ge would have been my minimum. I have the funds to do it, actually the funds to make a high end build but justifying it is another story.

One of my goals was to reuse the ddr3 as I could save an easy $50-60 that way when I upgrade to 16gb. I also have a very capable headphone setup and different dacs/amps can slightly change the sound signature so I’d rather not change the sound card. To avoid that I have to get a mobo with a pci slot or get the pcie version of the card for $30-40. No b450 boards exist with pci, so it comes down to b350 or another chipset both of which may require an update to run the 2200g or using a first gen Ryzen.

The am4 won’t be supported by the time I do my next build since I won’t rebuild this computer till I find a game I can’t run at 30fps at 720p so it doesn’t offer me an upgrade path there unless I want to use an am4 again which will be out of date. And I’m betting we’re going to using ddr5 by than too so reusing the ram will be out of the question.

Basic goal was to bring out the 1050gtx potential as cheap as possible while still maintaining use of everything I have. There’s no real way around it will end up costing almost twice as much for Ryzen and I plan for this build to be obsolete in a few years. Amd I have plans bigger plans for the complete rebuild in a few years, so the funds not used now get rolled over to it.

And yeah I was surprised by the cost of these, but I guess it’s time to sale my cpu/mobo too once I upgrade it looks like I could get most of my money back for what I paid for those parts back in 2013 I believe. I would’ve thought I be lucky if someone gave me $20 for them before I looked at the prices.