[SOLVED] Upgrading PC for around 900 CAD, looking for a second opinion/insight.

ClassV

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2016
Basically, before I buy anything just wanted to hear anything some other techies might think about what I'm doing here, because not may people around me can help too much. Currently running my system with an i5 6600k, Sapphire Nitro RX 480 4G, 16GB ram, 128GB SSD and 1TB HDD, along with 650W Gold Power supply and an MSI Bazooka 250m (I have no intention of overclocking CPU, and it was a motherboard that fit in my small case)

So I want to upgrade my PC with around 900 CAD and the 5700 XT seems to be pretty good from what I have seen especially of recent, and the 20170 Super is just too far out of the budget for me. The reason it is out of the budget is because I am going to be getting a new 1TB HDD as mine has become very old and in several machined over the years, and I will also be getting an ADATA SU800 1TB SSD for my main games and OS.

-ADATA SU800 1TB
-WD BLUE 1TB
-SAPPHIRE PULSE 5700 XT 8GB
-16 GB RAM
-650W MODULAR POWER SUPPLY
-I5 6600K
-MSI BAZOOKA B250M
-DEEPCOOL GAMMAX 400 COOLER

Above is essentially what the completed build will look like, and from what I can tell before doing any testing myself, these additions in memory and storage should be pretty good and allow me to continue playing the games I enjoy (League Of Legends, Escape From Tarkov, Overwatch, GTA V, pretty much everything too) with better FPS and upcoming titles as well.

Would love to hear any thoughts though! And just a heads up sorry but this is like max budget and the deals seem to be pretty nice so I can't upgrade to a 2070S as I said ;-;

Solution
This is what I got out of it:
PCPartPicker Part List

Storage: ADATA Ultimate SU800 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($139.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 2 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($71.59 @ Vuugo)
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB GAMING Video Card ($568.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Total: $780.57
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-16 13:48 EDT-0400

Again, if you're on a 1080p monitor (please tell us what brand and model), then I'd highly recommend evaluating your CPU & GPU usage % while gaming to make sure that you're not CPU-limited with your i5-6600K before you haul off and buy a...
So is this upgrade you are doing the video card and a larger solid state drive? There was a bunch of things you put in but not very clear what you are buying as new parts. As above we would need to know what resolution and refresh rate your monitor has, also a good idea to list all your other parts, monitor, mouse, keyboard, audio, etc... Upgrades to what you actually look at and touch are also important for quality of experience on the computer. If you have a 900 budget you may be fine with putting in 600 in for video card and drive and the rest for a nicer screen or something, better headphones, etc...

This is what I got out of it:
PCPartPicker Part List

Storage: ADATA Ultimate SU800 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($139.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 2 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($71.59 @ Vuugo)
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB GAMING Video Card ($568.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Total: $780.57
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-16 13:48 EDT-0400

Again, if you're on a 1080p monitor (please tell us what brand and model), then I'd highly recommend evaluating your CPU & GPU usage % while gaming to make sure that you're not CPU-limited with your i5-6600K before you haul off and buy a 5700XT and get dissappointed that you're not getting the FPS you thought you should. Especially in GTA5 and LoL.

If you're gaming at 1080p, you can probably save $100 and go for a 5700 (not XT).

Last edited:
Solution