Question Upgrading PC for the first time. Thoughts?

Mar 13, 2019
I built my PC with my father when I was 16 and kept it ever since. Fast forward 6 years later and I'm here planning to finally upgrade it once and for all. I'm planning on building a budget performance PC (budget is 1500$ CAD) for 3D software (rendering) and gaming 2-3 times a week (nothing too intense). What do you think of this build?: pcpartpicker.com/list/wfLkQZ

I used Newegg to calculate how much all of the parts would realistically cost with tax + shipping and it came out to a grand total of $1,563.51, which is perfect for my budget.

Let me know if you would change anything. Cheers!

maziech

Respectable
Feb 18, 2019
8700K->8700 (this saves cost significantly, choose K model only, if you absolutely need overclocking),
IMO it's not worth saving on that. When system gets old, You can squeeze additional 1+ ghz out of it. Even if You don't need overclocking NOW, it will extend the lifespan of the setup for later.
In my case i bought i7 2600k and haven't overclocked for 5 years. But there was a point of time when stock clock wasn't enough for new GPUs. Now it's overclocked and perfectly fine.
It's 8th year now, and i'm still good. I wouldn't be if i bought 2600 non-K.

Last edited:

maziech

Respectable
Feb 18, 2019
It's not 10% when it comes to 100% CPU usage on stock clock on outdated system, like mine for example.
10% is a gain based only on clock speed, when CPU is utilized, let's say, in 60%.

Well, up to You @abe97 . If You decide to go K, just remember about decent cooling for future overclocking. If You go non-k, then whatever.
With 8700K I'd go for something like Dark Rock Pro 4 cooling (needs low profile RAM) or similar.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2019
Thank you all for the replies. @SkyNetRising I opted for Crucial MX500 500GB - thank you for the suggestions. In the end I will be getting the SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W psu because it's got amazing reviews and seems very reliable long term.

As for the CPU, I'll be getting the 8700K, @maziech makes a great point since I plan on eventually overclocking later down the line and my build is very much intended for long term use (casual gaming and 3D artwork).

Thank you all for the help! Will order the parts the build this weekend.

Reactions: maziech