[SOLVED] Upgrading PC from Intel CPU to AMD Ryzen 9 5900X for 3D programs

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

m.kolp

Reputable
Feb 12, 2020
Hello!
I want to upgrade my CPU with the sole purpose to enhance simulation/animation/viewport speed in 3ds Max.
Currently the job is done by this one: Intel Core i7-7700K 4,20GHz Boxed CPU
Want to replace it with AMD Ryzen 9 5900X . Just waiting for the price to drop a little more.
As far as i gathered info, it wont fit in my current socket: Asus Z170-A Mainboard Socket 1151 (ATX, Intel Z170, 4x DDR4-Memory, USB 3.1, M.2 )...

So my question is: Which MB would you recommend that fits with the rest of my specs? Also it should have room for another GPU, for rendering purposes. Not sure, if i can mix 2 different GPUs... in any case the MB should be compatible with RTX 3000 series.
My budget for it is between 100-200$...

Hope i could explain this clear enough and didnt talk to much nonsense. Not much experienced with PC Hardware so correct me if im wrong.
Thank you in advance and best regards!

My specs:
Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Asus Z170-A Mainboard Socket 1151 (ATX, Intel Z170, 4x DDR4-Memory, USB 3.1, M.2 )

Intel Core i7-7700K 4,20GHz Boxed CPU

Noctua NH-D9L, Premium CPU Cooler mit NF-A9 92mm

Asus Turbo GeForce GTX1070-8G Gaming GPU (Nvidia, PCIe 3.0, 8GB DDR5x Memory, HDMI, DVI, DisplayPort)

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT BLS2K8G4D240FSB Desktop Gaming Memory Kit (2400 MHz, DDR4, DRAM, 16GB (8GB x4), CL16)

Samsung 960 EVO MZ-V6E250BW Intern Solid State Drive (250GB)

Samsung S22D300H 54,61 cm (22 Zoll) PC-Monitor (VGA, HDMI, 5ms, 1920 x 1080 Pixel)

Solution
But still not sure which board to buy... Let me put it this way: I want a MB, on which i can plug 2 (at least?) GPUs, which the CPU is compatible and wont cap performance even when overclocking, no features, enough SSD and HDD drives and costs under 200€. Dont care if its an X570 or B550 (What is even the difference?).
So the difference between a B550 motherboard and an x570 motherboard is the motherboard chipset. This controls a number of features that the board comes with. Most of these features relate to a technical specification called the PCIe version. The higher the version number the higher the bandwidth or talking speed between a connected devise and a CPU. The TLDR is that the vast majority of people do not need...

m.kolp

Reputable
Feb 12, 2020
Yes, X570 has 2 or more x16 slots. Typically 3. PCIe 4.0 8x/8x or PCIe 3.0 8x/8x, pretty sure if you install a 3.0 card in there, it drops both slots to 3.0, though I am not sure on that one. Third slot would also be PCIe 4.0, but through the chipset rather than the CPU.

Yes, if you added in the 2400Mhz memory you would have to run all the memory at 2400Mhz.

I see. But let me ask this way: Can i add 3 RTX 3090 cards onto this Mobo?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Three is a bit much to power under normal circumstances, also they tend to be triple slot cards, so there would only be room in full ATX towers with 11 expansion slots.

It would not be ideal, no. That third slot is not intended for graphics cards.

If you were mining or something, not the right way to go about it.

Reactions: m.kolp

m.kolp

Reputable
Feb 12, 2020
Three is a bit much to power under normal circumstances, also they tend to be triple slot cards, so there would only be room in full ATX towers with 11 expansion slots.

It would not be ideal, no. That third slot is not intended for graphics cards.

If you were mining or something, not the right way to go about it.

But 2x 3090 cards would be fine, right? Those 2 cards would be just an example, want to know where the limits are. Also whats "mining"?

USAFRet

Titan
3D program 3ds Max and the Arnold render engine, which GPU rendering is optimized for the RTX series. Adiditonally to render time reduction, i wonder if the GPU RAM would add up with 2x 3090 plugged on the MB. Or doesnt that work that way?
Unless your software specifically says more than 1 GPU works better, it does not.

Specifically, for 3DSMax
https://knowledge.autodesk.com/supp...nces-between-GPU-and-CPU-based-rendering.html

Yes, the GPU is absolutely better that CPU rendering.
But nothing about multiple GPUs.

And in the Certified GPU listing, again, nothing about multiples.
https://download.autodesk.com/us/support/3dsMax/HW_Cert/2021/3dsmax_2022_gfx_results_07_may_2021.pdf

m.kolp

Reputable
Feb 12, 2020
Unless your software specifically says more than 1 GPU works better, it does not.

Specifically, for 3DSMax
https://knowledge.autodesk.com/supp...nces-between-GPU-and-CPU-based-rendering.html

Yes, the GPU is absolutely better that CPU rendering.
But nothing about multiple GPUs.

And in the Certified GPU listing, again, nothing about multiples.
https://download.autodesk.com/us/support/3dsMax/HW_Cert/2021/3dsmax_2022_gfx_results_07_may_2021.pdf

It doesnt linearly scale up render performance, but there are advantages. It behaves similar to V-Ray Benchmark.
What i couldnt find out at the Arnold forums is, if the GPU RAM will add up with multiples.

m.kolp

Reputable
Feb 12, 2020

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I don't see anything wrong with the MSI board.

Not sure what 1000TB means, if there is such a limit on the board, no one has exceeded 8TB for consumer SSDs yet, and can't think of a reason an individual would need that much storage. (Well, one exception, but I don't think you are going to run around with ultra high speed cameras)

Reactions: m.kolp

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Bill of materials is different from each board, part selection, PCB design work, configuring the part placement. Robust VRMs require more expensive chips, you can have fancier chokes. Smaller boards are more dense, or boards with more features are more dense and require many layers of circuitry. Each part you add to a board means traces and connections to other chips and added components. The more unique the component the greater the cost. Part placement machines actually drive a lot of motherboard design. If you can get away with one VRM and Choke type on a whole board, that is more cost effective than two or three cheaper parts, since the machine takes less time to place the parts on the board, and less down time to switch out parts rolls.

If you mean the feature list between various products being similar but the prices different, that would be up to them. Sometimes prices are lowered to compete, sometimes they are kept high for a smaller amount of sales. (Sometimes people see value in price, which is why independent reviews are important)

m.kolp

Reputable
Feb 12, 2020
Im anything but familiar with PC hardware terms. o_O
Grateful you describing this so detailed though! Thank you

But still not sure which board to buy... Let me put it this way: I want a MB, on which i can plug 2 (at least?) GPUs, which the CPU is compatible and wont cap performance even when overclocking, no features, enough SSD and HDD drives and costs under 200€. Dont care if its an X570 or B550 (What is even the difference?).

What do you suggest, i´ll buy it!

So the difference between a B550 motherboard and an x570 motherboard is the motherboard chipset. This controls a number of features that the board comes with. Most of these features relate to a technical specification called the PCIe version. The higher the version number the higher the bandwidth or talking speed between a connected devise and a CPU. The TLDR is that the vast majority of people do not need or should be concerned with PCIe 4.0 vs PCIe 3.0 because the hardware devices, excluding storage devices, do not really benefit from the upgrade.

VRM stands for Voltage Regulation Module, PCB stands for Plastic Circuit Board, and "mining" refers to the process of using a piece of hardware (usually a graphics card) to solve an arbitrarily hard algorithm to get a crypto currency (bitcoin for example).

VRMs on the motherboard are important because they regulate the power that the CPU is asking for. "Better" VRMs typically run cooler and deliver more power at a higher efficiency to the CPU.
A PCB is that stereotypical green part (can be any color) of the motherboard that all the parts are attached to.
Mining is complicated, so I will just leave this link for more information.

Solution