[SOLVED] Upgrading PC. I have a MB and CPU, wondering what else I need

kimura410

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2013
I built a mid range PC in 2013. It's been decent, but I found that the CPU I had (AMD 8320) couldnt quite keep up if I played a game and also tried to run OBS or add-ons to the game. So I then bought a used I-7 CPU from a friend as well as the motherboard it was connected to, an asus p8z77-v lk. Also want to mention, the RAM I have is G Skills Ripjaws X 8 GB (2x4GB). And I am using a 620W power supply currently.

I could be talked in to getting a better GPU, but I plan to hold on to my GTX 660 for now. My main focus is just good fps and being able to use a couple other programs in the background. Hopefully the better CPU will resolve that. But I'm wondering if I should upgrade my RAM as well?

Now I do have a 4k monitor, so I would love a new GPU as well, but I've been reading that they are super overpriced right now. I would only want to pay $600 or less right now. But if it's not something I can use with that 4k monitor, then I'll just keep my GTX 660 and use my crappy monitor for now until I can afford a really good GPU.

Also, will I need to buy a new copy of windows since I am swapping out the motherboards? Or does windows stick with the hard drive that it is on? Anything else to be aware of since I am adding this new motherboard? This is the first time I have done this.

Solution
What OS is this? Win 10?

Going from an old AMD to a newer Intel....full wipe and reinstall.

The license is linked to the motherboard. You can probably transfer that to new hardware, depending on where it came from.

For the OS license,
For the OS activation, read and do this before you change any parts:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

For the actual OS install, after the system is built:

USAFRet

Titan
What OS is this? Win 10?

The license is linked to the motherboard. You can probably transfer that to new hardware, depending on where it came from.

For the OS license,
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

Solution
Alas, a mid-range card from 2011 will certainly limit your game playing options.

As you are on the prowl for a CPU/mainboard/RAM upgrade, and your current GPU is very weak anyway, you might consider an R5-5600G and compatible B550 mainboard with a 16 GB 92x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 MHz...; the 5600G's integrated graphics capability will exceed those of your GTX660 anyway, and you can add a GPU later whenever ready.

kimura410

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2013
What OS is this? Win 10?

For the OS license,

I shouldve mentioned, my current desktop is still on Win 7 so I'm due for an upgrade to Win 10 anyways. So essentially, I'll just need to buy a new copy of Win 10 and apply it like it was a new PC installation? I can look more in to it via google, but what do you mean by full wipe?

kimura410

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2013
Alas, a mid-range card from 2011 will certainly limit your game playing options.

As you are on the prowl for a CPU/mainboard/RAM upgrade, and your current GPU is very weak anyway, you might consider an R5-5600G and compatible B550 mainboard with a 16 GB 92x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 MHz...; the 5600G's integrated graphics capability will exceed those of your GTX660 anyway, and you can add a GPU later whenever ready.

I shouldve been more clear, but my idea is to eventually get a GPU that is compatible with this new CPU and motherboard that I want to install. So something that would work on this ASUS p8z77 vlk, and i-7 CPU. I imagine theres gotta be a GPU out there that would be compatible with those and would be able to display on the 4k monitor. I'm trying to avoid buying a whole new CPU and MB at the moment. But if it's something cheaper like RAM or something, I don't mind.

USAFRet

Titan
I shouldve mentioned, my current desktop is still on Win 7 so I'm due for an upgrade to Win 10 anyways. So essentially, I'll just need to buy a new copy of Win 10 and apply it like it was a new PC installation? I can look more in to it via google, but what do you mean by full wipe?
You can "probably" upgrade your current WIn 7 to WIn 10, on that current system.

Then, you can go through the Activation Troubleshooter mentioned above with your new hrdware.

Otherwise, purchase a valid Win 10 license.