[SOLVED] Upgrading PC. Is this worth it?

MxzsyXII

Reputable
Feb 6, 2017
I'm currently in the process of selling my current cpu, mobo and ram in order to upgrade them.

Current build:
i5 4590
8GB 1600mhz ddr3 memory
Asrock b85m pro3 mobo
Asus RX 470 4GB
128gb adata su800 ssd (for os and launchers mainly)
2tb wd blue 5400rp hdd (for my games n all the other stuff)
Seasonic S12ii 520w PSU

I'm selling the top 3 components and keeping the rest. (The rest should be fine right?)

What I want to buy:
Ryzen 5 2600
16GB ddr4 3200mhz cl16
Msi B450 tomahawk max

Main reason for this is stuttering in games and low fps in big open map games like forza 4, battlefield 1, battlefront 2, fortnite, apex legends etc. I noticed 100% cpu usage spikes in many of these games.

Will this upgrade make a big improvement in terms of fps and stop stutters? Is it worth the upgrade? Do you think my 5400rpm hdd is causing the stutters?

Solution
Your stuttering is caused by the fact you have only 8GB of RAM. Your RAM is getting filled and transferring to your page file on your hard drive which is much slower. 16GB of RAM will fix that in itself.
Your choices will improve performance, however I’d spend an extra $30 and get a Ryzen 3600 that outperforms even a 2700x in gaming.
If you can afford RAM with a cas latency of 14 that would be beneficial also as AMD has a higher latency memory controller.
Your stuttering is caused by the fact you have only 8GB of RAM. Your RAM is getting filled and transferring to your page file on your hard drive which is much slower. 16GB of RAM will fix that in itself.
Your choices will improve performance, however I’d spend an extra $30 and get a Ryzen 3600 that outperforms even a 2700x in gaming.
If you can afford RAM with a cas latency of 14 that would be beneficial also as AMD has a higher latency memory controller.

Solution

MxzsyXII

Reputable
Feb 6, 2017

I have already bought the ryzen 2600, for £92, whereas the 3600 would've cost me almost double so I think that's a good choice for now. I cant spring for faster cas latency ram at the moment but maybe in the future. I wanted to get a solid motherboard and I read many people recommending the tomahawk as the best b450, that is the highest cost of the upgrade.

MxzsyXII

Reputable
Feb 6, 2017
With lots of RAM, the slowness shouldn't affect much in most games outside of loading times, however even just waiting for the game or a level to load on a 5400 RPM spinner would drive me crazy.
I've been living with it for about 4 years now and the load times dont bother me much, it's just the stutters that really piss me off. Hoping faster 16gb ram fixes that.