Upgrading PC - Need Help deciding whether to just upgrade GPU or buy MOBO + CPU + GPU

SemtexVa

Reputable
Nov 30, 2014
Hey everyone,
So I been checking the forums to help me decide if I should just buy new GPU or if I have to buy Motherboard + cpu + gpu.
This is my current setup:
Mother: GA-Z77X-UD3H
Processor: i7-3770
Ram Stick: 4gb DDR3 1600MHz x 4
GPU: xfx R9 280x DDR5
PSU: a 1000W 80 plus sentey (this sounds like overkill lol)
A 240gb SSD and a 1tb hard drive.

What I want to upgrade is my GPU to an Asus Strix 1080. Are my current mobo + processor enough to handle the 1080? will it bottleneck? Should I just upgrade all three and forget about upgrading again for a few years? I used to have an nvidia GTX 560 before the R9 280x, and to be able to use the R9 280x I had to update the BIOS of my Motherboard(it didn't recognize the video card).
In case I have to upgrade all three of them, what mobo + CPU would you recommend? I was thinking about an H270 + an i7 7700 (I don't overclock stuff so I don't need the Z or K variants). Is there something better than those?

Thanks guys! If there is any info that I forgot to add please tell me.

Solution
i7-3770 still decent. I agree that getting a 1080 would be okay.

Z77 board with the latest BIOS shouldn't have any trouble either.
If it is strictly for gaming, you will always do better to upgrade your GPU than anything else. I think you would see more improvement in FPS by getting a 1080 than upgrading the CPU. That processor is not a dinosaur just yet and will get you through for a little while longer.

TRENDING THREADS