Question Upgrading PC / New PC wanted

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Aegis91

Reputable
Feb 7, 2015
Well, try the gpu in your old system in your signature. The CX500 isnt great, but it should be enough for a 570.
Reset the CPU, and everything works fine.

CoreTemp only shows temps for 3 cores, with the remaining 3 show 0. In the CoreApp itself, it recognizes the 6. Task manager shows 12 graphs too.

Does Ryzen have some power control that only utilizes the other cores when needed?

Also, make sure xmp is turned on in the bios. Your ram is running at 2400mhz, but it shpuld be running at 3000mhz.

All cores show up and smt is on, but clocks seem a little off. Could have somethibg to do with the other programs

But for a run with other things running in the background, everything else seems pretty normal.

Aegis91

Reputable
Feb 7, 2015
Yeah, and it seems like they are showing up now. Just core temp only shows temperature readings for 3 cores.

So I am guessing that means they are not being used and will be utilized when I have enough demanding tasks?

I am installing a game right now, and my temps over the three cores is 53, so I am guessing the other three are not needed to be engaged?

Aegis91

Reputable
Feb 7, 2015

Aegis91

Reputable
Feb 7, 2015
Yep. Games work well.

Perhaps I am just splitting hairs over this - My MB recognizes all 6 cores it seems based on the benchmarks above.

Aegis91

Reputable
Feb 7, 2015
Thanks.

I updated all my drivers earlier. I recently got the BSOD. My graphics card was flashing. One the error messages said atikmpag.sys failed. In the recovery process it said: atapi.sys error code: 0xc0000098.

I will complete the recovery process (putting the ISO back on my USB). But I am guessing the graphics driver update was a bad idea :p

Aegis91

Reputable
Feb 7, 2015
Yea odd.
From experience repairing or "refreshing" windows just causes errors and issues.

I have had an os entirely corrupted by refreshing os
I didn't realize before, but in the boot order, I have the SSD, usb: usb drive 3.0 pmap, or UEFI: usb drive 3.0 pmap, partition 1

Is one of these usb options better?

Aegis91

Reputable
Feb 7, 2015
Hmm... It installs (I get two options: upgrade or custom install. I have to select custom install, but I still get the recovery screen after the files install.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS