Question Upgrading PC / New PC wanted

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Aegis91

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2015
Hi everyone,

I figure my computer is pretty old now. Here is the build: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/ftvZvK
I also put in a Cryorig H7 cooler.

I am looking for a PC that is $500 or under Canadian. This will be for gaming and data science work eventually.

Is there a substantial upgrade that comes to mind? I am hesitate to build my own given my lack of experience.

Thanks,
Aegis

I found this template in my general research

Approximate Purchase Date: Anytime; within the next couple of weeks

Budget Range: $500 Canadian (after rebates or before)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: See current build link above

Do you need to buy OS: Yes
Please note that if you're using an OEM license of Windows, you will need a new one when buying a new motherboard.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts:
Does not matter.

Parts Preferences: Doesn't matter; most optimal

Overclocking: Probably not.

What is better about this motherboard than the other one?

It's a full ATX size MB which has 4 RAM slots for possible future expansion. 8 versus 4 PCIe slots. Slightly better audio chipset. Back Panel: Two USB 3.1 Gen 2 ports, four USB 3.0 Gen 1 ports, two USB 2.0 ports (versus four 3.0 Gen 1 ports + two USB 2.0 ports.) 5 versus 2 fan headers. RGB headers. It also has a better voltage regulation module for CPU stability and overclocking.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare?CompareItemList=13-157-871,13-157-840

Last edited:

Aegis91

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2015
So I have ran into a couple of issues. First, I had to remove the Team Dark metal covering the ram for one of the sticks because it was too big and the CPU fan stopped it from going in at all. The second one was fine.

However, when I booted it up, everything turns on, it recognizes the HDMI cable to the monitor, but it is a black screen

Aegis91

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2015
That checklist is helpfull.

I am going through it, and I have tried almost everything. Like I said, everything turns on. Perhaps:

Damaged CPU?
I don't possess a VGA cable, so maybe it's an issue with HDMI?
Regarding the power connectors, would it not start if the connections were reversed? (e.g., My power button works and the computer turns on)

Aegis91

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2015
There should be diagnostic leds on the motherboard. Go ahead and find them in the manual. Keep in mind if you didn't install the graphics card you won't get video because most ryzen chips don't have integrated graphics.

No LED lights are lighting up on the MB. Graphics card looks like it works - both fans are running, and the LEDs for "Gigabyte" light up and does changing colour thing.

Aegis91

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2015
Try to reseat the GPU and video cable. Reseat CPU.

Could be motherboard
Your monitor is plugged in and turned on, right? The monitor is plugged in to the GPU and not the motherboard?

Yes. I tried taking out the GPU as googling my MB shows I have "Integrated AMD Radeon™ Vega Series Graphics in Ryzen Series APU". Same issues of my screen "searching, searching, searching" and then it flickers, but nothing happens.

Am I right in my assumption that my MB works fine because the fans that are connected to it and the LED lights show up work fine?

So this leaves the CPU. Idk how reseating it could change anything? Either I got a defective unit, or I broke it.

I will try reseating the CPU without the heatsink on top. If that doesn't change anything, what does this mean?