Upgrading PC parts Lead to Trouble(don't know what Category this should be in)

ToastyBB

Commendable
Jan 18, 2017
My computer's OS was Windows 10, before that, it was 8. It started out as a Dell Inspiron i660s and i moved it to a bigger case to allow future upgrading of parts. Today, I swapped out the processor, graphics card, power supply and ram. After the struggle that was me trying to piece it back together, I turned it on and i was met a big blue screen telling me my "pc needs to be repaired". It tells me to use my installation disk from when i first got the computer, problem is, that was 5 years ago. I searched the message and eventually found that i can install Windows from a usb or CD in ISO form. I opt for the USB simply because i don't have any CD to burn.

This is where problems being to arise, first of all i don't know if i should download the Microsoft Media Creation tool for Windows 10 or 8. As i said, 8 was my original OS, but i grew tired of fighting the update, and switched to 10. So that is the Version i used, the Media creation tool for windows 10. I then booted from the usb and sat at the "Getting Ready" screen with a Dell logo for about 20 minutes before realizing maybe something isn't right. So i don't know what to do, i googled this saw someone said you have to install your original OS and then upgrade from that? Is that right?

I could really use any help here fellas, I been working on this thing for the past 7 hours. Thanks