Question Upgrading PC with RTX 2070 - I will use it to render videos and livestreaming

Oct 31, 2020
Hello everyone, how are you?

I want your opinion regarding an upgrade that I want to do on my PC

I edit videos and livestream daily. The games I cover on my channel are MMORPGs (World of Warcraft and Final Fantasy XIV - high CPU usage I guess).

The problem is: despite having an RTX 2070, the in-game performance is below expectations, I have to play on 5/10 graphics to try to reach 60fps (in busier areas, with more players or even in raid situations with a lot of particles and spells on screen).
I play on 1080p resolution with a 21:9 monitor, and have a second monitor to read chat and stuff

The problem I believe is on the motherboard and RAM... they'r very old and weak compared to my actual GPU...
My current build:
  • GPU: RTX 2070
  • CPU: i7 7700 (normal version, the one without "K")
  • Memory: 2x 8GB HyperX 1600 Mhz DDR3 RAM
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte H170 Gaming DDR3
  • Corsair CX 650

I plan livestream with the NVENC encoder for RTX. It's cleaner and better than x264

As I said, I work with video editing and livestreams, so I use several programs open simultaneosly.
Could you guys help me out and give me a recommendation to upgrade this PC?

Thanks!!

I was surprised to see ddr3 on 7th gen, but I read about it and that's a thing so okay.

As for the question.
16 gigs of ram is probably fine, you just need to try streaming and see if all 16gigs are utilized. If they're not, it's not a problem. (check in task manager)
As for the dropped frames and such, that might be the cpu.
It's only a 4 core part, which is not enough for streaming and playing at the same time probably.
Check again in task manager while streaming and gaming if the cpu is close (or at) 100% usage.

Oct 31, 2020
@siaan312
Thank you for your reply

Yes, it was a long time ago that I bought this motherboard and ram

I was testing right now, and I realized that when I'm in a less populated area, I got around 80 to 90 fps (which is very good)
But as soon as I just open OBS Studio, the fps drops to 40~50

I installed the msi afterburner and got something like this (with OBS Studio on, recording the gameplay)

GPU - 37% Usage / 1785 Mhz
MEM - 3481 MB
CPU - 68% - 4000Mhz
RAM - 11097 MB
D3D12 - 33 FPS
View: https://imgur.com/nBA0CIQ
(dunno how to add a picture here)

@siaan312
Thank you for your reply

Yes, it was a long time ago that I bought this motherboard and ram

I was testing right now, and I realized that when I'm in a less populated area, I got around 80 to 90 fps (which is very good)
But as soon as I just open OBS Studio, the fps drops to 40~50

I installed the msi afterburner and got something like this (with OBS Studio on, recording the gameplay)

GPU - 37% Usage / 1785 Mhz
MEM - 3481 MB
CPU - 68% - 4000Mhz
RAM - 11097 MB
D3D12 - 33 FPS
View: https://imgur.com/nBA0CIQ
(dunno how to add a picture here)
37% gpu utilization is extremely low.
I don't know a fix for this personally, but that is your diagnosis, You can ask again on this forum for help with that.

TRENDING THREADS