TheRealBooBam

Commendable
Feb 17, 2019
Hi, I want to upgrade my motherboard aswell as my CPU and RAM, however i dont really want to format my harddrives or ssd and lose all files,pictures and videos.

Do i have to format my HDD and SSD or can i just buy lets say a M.2 or another SSD and install windows on that while i keep my games and other files on my current SSD and HDD?

Is there any work-arounds you guys use?

Any answers are appreciated.

Solution
I'm upgrading from a old i7-2600 to a modern intel cpu or a modern ryzen cpu
Full wipe and reinstall.

You can install on a whole new drive.
The applications on the old drive will not work.
Your personal files will be permission limited and linked to the old OS.
TakeOwnership will get around that.

But much much easier to move those files to some other location, outside the user Libraries. Do that first, then, access is trivial.

USAFRet

Titan
however i dont really want to format my harddrives or ssd and lose all files,pictures and videos.
You may not have a choice.

You NEED to have all that stuff saved elsewhere.
This is not an option.

Then, upgrading the hardware (motherboard), there are 3 possible outcomes:
  1. It works just fine
  2. It fails completely
  3. It "works", but you're chasing issues for weeks, leading to having to do a full wipe and reinstall.

Your data should never be subject to loss from doing a reinstall or whatever.

TheRealBooBam

Commendable
Feb 17, 2019
Upgrade from what to what?
You may not have a choice.

You NEED to have all that stuff saved elsewhere.
This is not an option.

Then, upgrading the hardware (motherboard), there are 3 possible outcomes:
  1. It works just fine
  2. It fails completely
  3. It "works", but you're chasing issues for weeks, leading to having to do a full wipe and reinstall.

Your data should never be subject to loss from doing a reinstall or whatever.

I'm upgrading from a old i7-2600 to a modern intel cpu or a modern ryzen cpu to do that i have to also buy a new motherboard and RAM,

Can i unplug both hard drives and buy a new one for windows, then plug in my old drives?

Will it work fine or will some files not be read or something?

TheRealBooBam

Commendable
Feb 17, 2019
you don't have to. it just might not work, or not work correctly without fresh os install

I'm upgrading from a old i7-2600 to a modern intel cpu or a modern ryzen cpu to do that i have to also buy a new motherboard and RAM,

Can i unplug both hard drives and buy a new one for windows, then plug in my old drives?

Will it work fine or will some files not be read or something?

USAFRet

Titan
I'm upgrading from a old i7-2600 to a modern intel cpu or a modern ryzen cpu
Full wipe and reinstall.

You can install on a whole new drive.
The applications on the old drive will not work.
Your personal files will be permission limited and linked to the old OS.
TakeOwnership will get around that.

But much much easier to move those files to some other location, outside the user Libraries. Do that first, then, access is trivial.

Reactions: TheRealBooBam
Solution

DSzymborski

Titan
Yes, these files should be properly backed up -- ideally multiple backups -- 24 hours a day, 365 days a year no matter what you're doing. The question when you'll lose data that isn't backed up at all times is one of "when" not "if." If these are important files, treat them like important files, not like used napkins.