May 25, 2019
Hello, I am thinking about upgrading my cpu but i dont really know whats the best i can get for my motherboard I was looking at the cpu support websites but I would rather ask someone here so I can be 100% sure that i can upgrade it. I have some cpus that i was looking at: i7-7700/k,6700/K i5-7600/K,7500,6600/K i found them on the cpu supports but still i would like opinion from someone here

PC:
MB: H110M PRO-VD
GC:NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
RAM: Some hypex that isnt manufactured anymore but its DDR4-2133 8gb
CPU:Intel Core i5 6400

Here is the supported CPU's for your mobo: https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/support/H110M-PRO-VD.html#support-cpu

You can stick in an I7 7700k. You coudld add in some faster ram up to 3200mhz speeds to to give another boost. Do you have 8gb or ram?16gb? 1x DIMM or 2 x DIMM?

If you only have one stick of ram, adding dual channel would give an additional boost too. All of those things would keep you gaming at 1080p 60hz for another year or so.

DavidM012

Distinguished
Userbenchmark shows thousands of builds with your board using 7700k compatibility doesn't seem to be the issue there are a lot of updates on the bios page for security/compatibility so it makes a lot of sense to update to the latest one, not sure where things stand with hyperthreading & security vulnerabilities I'm on amd so I haven't read up on it.

I mean I dunno if it's worth jumping ship to the amd platform esp. with the upcoming zen 2 release tba soon, simply because of that. The 7700k is still at £358 on amazon uk you could build a ryzen system for that and not lag it tremendously anyway some benchmarks and reviews might fill the info gaps.

Also noticed on userbenchmark that the gpu is more of the denominator weighting gaming performance.

Last edited:
May 25, 2019
Here is the supported CPU's for your mobo: https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/support/H110M-PRO-VD.html#support-cpu

You can stick in an I7 7700k. You coudld add in some faster ram up to 3200mhz speeds to to give another boost. Do you have 8gb or ram?16gb? 1x DIMM or 2 x DIMM?

If you only have one stick of ram, adding dual channel would give an additional boost too. All of those things would keep you gaming at 1080p 60hz for another year or so.
I have one stick 8gb single channel and i think 1x DIMM

May 25, 2019
Welcome to the forums!

Best CPU for that motherboard technically speaking is a 7700K.
Would also go well with a 1060 6G (or more).

Just remember that a 7700K would require a BIOS update.
Okay thanks for the help but how do i do the BIOS update never done that dont know the steps. And someone here said that i could get more rams too for a upgrade will it be compatible with mine for exapmle if i bought DDR4-2400 or more will it be compatible with my 2133 ?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Okay thanks for the help but how do i do the BIOS update never done that dont know the steps. And someone here said that i could get more rams too for a upgrade will it be compatible with mine for exapmle if i bought DDR4-2400 or more will it be compatible with my 2133 ?
This will be in your motherboard manual (Page 17) which you can also find online here: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/H110M-PRO-VD#down-manual

Your motherboard will support a RAM upgrade and you will get benefits going to Dual Channel, just bear in mind that mixed RAM modules are not guaranteed to work together. They are sold in the form sold, and the modules in one pack are the only ones guaranteed to work together. This is irrespective of whether they are the same model / timings / type. RAM manufacturers do not support mixed RAM modules even of the same model.

It's always best practice when upgrading RAM to buy a whole new pack.