[SOLVED] Upgrading PC

Dec 4, 2019
First time posting on a forum about my PC, but I am due for an upgrade. I have upgraded my RAM, but that's the only thing I have bothered touching. A couple of years ago I bought a pre-built PC (HP Pavilion Desktop Model# 580-023w https://support.hp.com/us-en/produc...c-series/16425610/model/17345625/product-info )
Current Build:
CPU - Intel i5-7400 @ 3.00 GHz
GPU - Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 3GB
Motherboard - HP 82F1 (Odense2-K)
Memory - G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4-2133 (2 x 8GB)
Storage - WD Blue Desktop HDD 3.5"
PSU - 300 W internal uATX E-STAR 6.0 Bronze power supply

What I have bought for the upgrade already:
GPU - MSI Geforce GTX 1660TI
Case - NZXT H510
PSU - EVGA 700BR
Everything else is going to stay the same. Would these current upgrades work with my processor and/or motherboard. If not, what would I need to purchase to get my upgrades put into a new machine? Unfortunately I was unable to find my motherboard on PCPartPicker due to the fact that HP is very broad with how they describe their components for pre-build computers. Thanks in advance!

Solution
If I were to buy the processor and RAM listed here:

Is there a different Mobo I could buy around the same price that is overclockable for the future?
All Ryzen CPUs have an unlocked multiplier and any B350, X370, B450, X470, or X570 support overclocking. The Ryzen 2700 comes with the Wraith Spire cooler which is good enough for basic/light overclocking, but will be louder than something like a CoolerMaster 212 EVO.

For your PSU I agree to avoid the BR. For only an extra $5 you can get the Rosewill Photon 650, that is an 80+ Gold rated PSU with a 5 year warranty. https://pcpartpicker.com/product/jscMnQ/rosewill-power-supply-photon650 It is far better than the BR and made Ananadtech's list of Best PSU - Holiday 2019...
Dec 4, 2019
I'm looking to spend around $250-300 more total, I just want something that will last me in the long run. Is there a MOBO/CPU combo I can get that will last me for around $250?

Dec 4, 2019
If I were to keep it an Intel system, would there be a CPU I could get better performance out of without having to buy new RAM and instead use that money for a more powerful processor?

Dec 4, 2019
Or the AMD processor comes with a cooler, which I don't have already, would Intel products come with the same thing? I'm just looking for something that will mainly last me so I don't have to upgrade again for a while.

If I were to keep it an Intel system, would there be a CPU I could get better performance out of without having to buy new RAM and instead use that money for a more powerful processor?
An I7-7700 (non-k) would be your only upgrade path if you want to keep using your current motherboard. Depending on what kind of things you want to do with your PC, it may last quite a while or be painfully slow very soon. Honestly, the I7-7700 is a terrible value since they are still selling for around 200-ish dollars for a 4 core, 8 thread processor. The R7-2700 (8 core, 16 thread, 170$) or R5-3600 (6 core, 12 thread, 190$) are much better value processors since they are significantly more powerful compared to the I7-7700 while being cheaper. THe downside to buying the AMD processors is that you will have to invest in a new motherboard and also faster RAM.

Or the AMD processor comes with a cooler, which I don't have already, would Intel products come with the same thing? I'm just looking for something that will mainly last me so I don't have to upgrade again for a while.
I think that the most recent Intel products all don't come with coolers anymore (at least in the higher end). However, many of the AMD products in recent time come with some sort of adequate cooler (won't be overclock friendly but definitely enough for good stock operation).

Dec 4, 2019

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Something else to consider here. If you change your motherboard and processor to Ryzen you will most certainly have to purchase OS license. If you keep your same motherboard chances are pretty good that even moving up to the i7 you will be able to reactivate...might have to chat with tech.

Dec 4, 2019
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700 3.2 GHz 8-Core Processor ($162.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $287.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-04 16:14 EST-0500
Is there a different Mobo I could buy around the same price that is overclockable for the future?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
This is my new list that I have with all of my updated parts + parts I plan on buying, does it look alright?https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8Dst7T
The Evga BR is poor quality and you only really need a good quality 450w.

Get a good quality 550w an you'll be fine with plenty of headroom. But the BR series are poor.

If you want to save $100 too, you can leave windows inactivated.

All Ryzen CPUs have an unlocked multiplier and any B350, X370, B450, X470, or X570 support overclocking. The Ryzen 2700 comes with the Wraith Spire cooler which is good enough for basic/light overclocking, but will be louder than something like a CoolerMaster 212 EVO.

For your PSU I agree to avoid the BR. For only an extra $5 you can get the Rosewill Photon 650, that is an 80+ Gold rated PSU with a 5 year warranty. https://pcpartpicker.com/product/jscMnQ/rosewill-power-supply-photon650 It is far better than the BR and made Ananadtech's list of Best PSU - Holiday 2019 under the budget PSU category. https://www.anandtech.com/show/12056/best-psus

Solution