haraharo

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core 4200+
Motherboard: 939Dual-SATA2 (http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=939Dual-SATA2)
Ram: 2GB
HDD: Seagate 120GB
Video Card: Nvidia 7600 GS
PSU: ATX 500W
FAN: 4 Aspire

I don't know if I should even upgrade or should I just scrap this rig and start off new.
Needless to say I am pretty out of the loop when it comes to recent hardware developments. To my knowledge, the new i7's are the most recent in the processor arena, however, I am not sure if this is going to be overkill if this rig is going to be used exclusively for games. My goal essentially is to be able to play any games out there at full performance (all high settings) with no concern when it comes to playback for the next year and a half or so. What components should I be looking at?

The system isnt really upgradeable
2009 processors wont fit , ddr RAM is legacy stock etc etc

Maybe keep the case , power supply and dvd drive and start again .

Im sure if you let us know a budget and where you will buy from you will ave plenty of opinions on what to buy

haraharo

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
I was afraid of that, but anyways I was planning on buying from Newegg. I saw some good deals there for a new CPU + mobo and GPU + Memory. My budget is around 500ish add or subtract 100.

Also I forgot to add, I'm currently running XP but I can upgrade to Vista Business anytime.

haraharo

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
Someone also advised me to just get a new 8800 GT or an ATI 3870 to play games. But I feel that this won't future proof my rig, it'll just patch it up to play some games on high settings and that's about it.

You can move in to the latest AMD triple core AM3 system in that price range

AM3 Phenom 720 be + Gigabyte GA -MA790XT-UD4P $260
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.182106

Your gfx/RAM choice should depend on your monitor resolution . If you have 19 inch then
Corsair 2 x 2 gig DDR3 + 9800GTX $212
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.182106

If your monitor is larger then
Corsair 2 x2 gb RAM + GTX 260 216 $285 [ less rebates ]
www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.183490

That should give you a modern powerful system , but you may find that either of those is stressing your power supply . It should be OK but it will be working quite hard . Its an item to consider upgrading . Its also possible its so old it doesnt have the right connectors [ but you can get adapters] . Hard to tell without knowing the model .

rewindlabs

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009

You are spot on...that is not the way to go

And outlander has recommended a great build you should take a look at...if you have the cash you should move up to a x4 phenom...it shouldn't be to much more...but the performance of that 720 should do just fine when gaming and you won't be missing much compared to a x4

And depending on what resolution you are gaming at you may want to get the gtx 260 over the 9800gtx....post your resolution

I always think of morrowind when i see your name outlander....

The combo with the GTX 260 is more than you need for a 19 inch monitor .

The 9800GTX , GTS 250 , ATI 4850 are the range you should probably lookat

If you could find a combo that inclused a GTS 250 [ substantially the same as a 9800gtx but a later model ] or an ATI 4850 I'd recommend that . Maybe you could get those seperately

Have a look at
http://www.guru3d.com/category/vga_charts/
The AMD 720 is abit more powerful than the chip they use , but still very comparable

Anything over 30 FPS is playable IMO . Back when I had a computer about the spec of your current one I have evn played games at 20 FPS which was awful but kinda worked .
Television runs at 24 fps and that doesnt look jerky so.......

anyway if you are above 40 FPS its silky smooth

haraharo

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
True, so to sum it up any of the three GPUs you mentioned should last a while and additionally I need to get a new CPU and mobo or the new GPU might be bottled necked by the 4200+. Is that about right?