Upgrading please help

G

Im thinking of rebuilding my tower. havent done this in years. need a little help with what works best. My current specs are2.60 gigahertz Intel Pentium Dual-Core
64 kilobyte primary memory cache
2048 kilobyte secondary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (2 total)
Not hyper-threaded
Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (build 2600)
160.04 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
123.09 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

Slot 'DIMM0' has 2048 MB
Slot 'DIMM1' is Empty
Slot 'DIMM2' has 1024 MB
Slot 'DIMM3' is Empty
Board: PEGATRON CORPORATION 2A73h 1.01
Serial Number: 100864940000818
Bus Clock: 800 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 5.37 02/23/2009
also i really want to be able to play ff14 if anyone knows how i can with what i got now i appreciate the feedback

The components are kinda old. If put together, you might be able to run some older games, but it won't be too good. Best bet would be to use this system for browsing and other light activities. Even the memory is mismatched, will run in single-channel mode.
For gaming, see the plethora of systems discussed on this site and on the forums. Save some money and go for it.

I think your pc is using integrated motherboard graphics. That is entirely unsuitable for most games.

If you do not have an available pci-e graphics slot, or even a agp slot, you are out of luck and must consider a new build.

If you do have an available slot for a discrete graphics card, and if your PSU is strong enough, then adding a discrete graphics card should do the job. I think your cpu and ram are sufficient for modest gaming.

mattius92

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2010
After researching your motherboard, I figured out that it has no AGP or PCIe Slots. If you want to get any suitable upgrade you will need a new motherboard at the least.

My recommendation.

Get a new motherboard.

Here is a new motherboard that will support your existing CPU, Memory, HDD and etc. Plus if has some new flexibility plus it has a PCI-express slot for good video cards. $54

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131615

Video Card: a HD 5670 will do you really good. $100

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150467&cm_re=HD_5670-_-14-150-467-_-Product

So for about $160 you will have a system with a really great video card, and you should be able to play some of those games you want and also have more flexibility for expansion. Such as more memory, better CPU (Core 2 Duo, Core 2 Quad), more HDDs and more.

-M