Question Upgrading PSU and MOBO

azthechamp

Reputable
Dec 27, 2014
So I am upgrading my motherboard and power supply. Will I need to reinstall windows / get a new key? Also usually mobos come with a CD for driver installation, I don't have a disk drive, will windows auto download drivers for me?

OLD
Gigabyte - GA-B150M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
EVGA - 600B 600 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

NEW
Gigabyte - GA-Z170XP-SLI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

nothing will happen just ur bios settings will be reset in other worlds replaced

Wrong. Changing motherboards will be seen by Windows as a new computer. It WILL un-activate the operating system installation. You WILL need to reactivate OR reinstall. In fact, changing to a new motherboard, especially one that is a completely different chipset, comes with a SEVERE recommendation to do a clean install of the OS, which means having to activate again anyhow.

Not doing a clean install CAN work, but USUALLY it results in more problems than it's worth. Doing a clean install of Windows after changing motherboards is pretty much always a very good idea.

I would also agree with Jeremy, that if you are going to change motherboards anyhow, going with a Z270 or "Kaby lake" motherboard makes a lot more sense UNLESS you can get the Z170XP SLI board for a VERY reasonable price. If you're buying it new, you're better off with a 7th gen board. It will have features not found on 6th gen boards and will also probably be more readily available.

What CPU and memory do you actually have currently?

fahad9t

BANNED
May 12, 2019
bro i up
Wrong. Changing motherboards will be seen by Windows as a new computer. It WILL un-activate the operating system installation. You WILL need to reactivate OR reinstall. In fact, changing to a new motherboard, especially one that is a completely different chipset, comes with a SEVERE recommendation to do a clean install of the OS, which means having to activate again anyhow.

Not doing a clean install CAN work, but USUALLY it results in more problems than it's worth. Doing a clean install of Windows after changing motherboards is pretty much always a very good idea.

I would also agree with Jeremy, that if you are going to change motherboards anyhow, going with a Z270 or "Kaby lake" motherboard makes a lot more sense UNLESS you can get the Z170XP SLI board for a VERY reasonable price. If you're buying it new, you're better off with a 7th gen board. It will have features not found on 6th gen boards and will also probably be more readily available.

What CPU and memory do you actually have currently?
bro when i changed my board it was just that my previous board had 3d bios and currently it has 2d so i only saw that change didint requier me to install windows it just booted up
and i got another idea is that backup windows on a flash drive then restore in new system
currenty i am using fx6300 oced to 4.1 ghz normal 1.37 V temp 30 and have changed stock cooler with cooler master hyper h410r
2x 4gb ddr3 some timing tweak it that too
and ssd and a hdd

"bro", if you change your board out for another that is the exact same model, then no, you most likely will not have to reactivate. If you change it out for ANY other board model, whether it is the same or a different chipset, if you are using Windows 10, you WILL need to reactivate. There is no argument about this. It is a FACT. I've done over 80 board swaps over the last five years, and in EVERY single case, the operating system had to be reactivated.

So, that's not the kind of misinformation we want to offer the OP or share with others. It's definitely not true and could cause real problems for somebody.

Last edited:

fahad9t

BANNED
May 12, 2019
So I am upgrading my motherboard and power supply. Will I need to reinstall windows / get a new key? Also usually mobos come with a CD for driver installation, I don't have a disk drive, will windows auto download drivers for me?

OLD
Gigabyte - GA-B150M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
EVGA - 600B 600 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

NEW
Gigabyte - GA-Z170XP-SLI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

just backup your current windows and restore it as for windows 10 dosent require drivers for normal inputs