[SOLVED] Upgrading PSU in HP Pavillion 690-0024

Sep 11, 2020
I want to upgrade my PSU from a 400w to a 650w.
I’m not good with computers but as far as I know, my Sunflower motherboard doesn’t have the usual 24 pin connector, I believe it’s a 4x4 and also non ATX.
I want to put in a Corsair CM 650w PSU.
Would this be possible if I am able to find some sort of adapter? and which one would I need?
Thanks.

Solution
I’m not good with computers but as far as I know, my Sunflower motherboard doesn’t have the usual 24 pin connector, I believe it’s a 4x4 and also non ATX.
Would this be possible if I am able to find some sort of adapter? and which one would I need?
Thanks.
Looking at pics of the system, it appears the PSU is a short version of a flex-atx type, so no, a standard power supply will not fit in there at all. The motherboard uses a 4-pin power for the board, another 4-pin for the CPU and the two sata ports are powered by the board with an 8-pin cable from the PSU directly to the board.

Even though the system comes with a Ryzen 5 2400g CPU, the...
Thanks.
Looking at pics of the system, it appears the PSU is a short version of a flex-atx type, so no, a standard power supply will not fit in there at all. The motherboard uses a 4-pin power for the board, another 4-pin for the CPU and the two sata ports are powered by the board with an 8-pin cable from the PSU directly to the board.

Even though the system comes with a Ryzen 5 2400g CPU, the motherboard does not support integrated graphics. That's HP for you, but the board supports Ryzen 5 2600 or Ryzen 7 2700 for upgrades.

The system has single channel memory at 2666mhz. speed, limiting overall system performance for a Ryzen CPU to some degree. One memory slot remains unpopulated.

The RX580 is an itx version, a very short, dual slot GPU. Considering the CPU it's a pretty good match. You may be able to use an itx compatible version of a GTX 1660 super if you can find one that will also work with the PSU you have now. You'd have to confirm the HP PSU has an 8-pin PCIe power cable, as the RX580 uses a 6-pin in your system.

I'm not sure what you have in mind by asking about a PSU upgrade, but it's a good bet you want more GPU power. The components in your HP are fairly well matched and upgrading one thing will lead to another. Personally, I'd use it as is and not put any money into it. If you want an upgradeable system you need a standard ATX PSU and ATX case with room to work in that will allow you to do just about anything you want without all the limitations of the system you have now.

Solution