Question Upgrading PSU Leads to Computer not starting.

Nov 8, 2019
Hi all,

I've run into a very strange problem. When I upgraded my PSU(SeaSonic 750 PLUS gold) it won't even turn on. The fan spins for a millisecond and the MOBO light flicks on for the same amount of time then dies and unless I flip the switch at the back of the PSU I can press the switch any number of times and it won't matter, it won't flick on again.

My old PSU (Which still works and allows the computer to run) is a corsair 650 bronze but its about 6+ years old and semi modular and doesn't have the amount of PCIE slots in it to allow me to use 2 for my RX Vega 64 or an additional 4 pin for the CPU.

I have already tried testing the GPU and RAM to make sure they are good, which they are. I have tried my current rig on another PSU of lower Wattage (a 400 I had lying around).

I already went back to Micro Center and exchanged the PSU for another one of the same type and had the exact same problem when I returned. A few months ago I had tried a 1000W gold and it had the same problem as well. I can't remember the brand for that one

I already swapped out the MOBO with a Aorus b450 Pro Wifi and it didn't work with that one either.

Finally, I tried to get it to just boot if the only thing connected was the power cord and CPU cord and it would do the exact same thing and not turn on. I am super confused at the moment as I would like the upgrade my PSU to a slightly higher wattage and more modern model thats fully modular but at the moment it doesn't seem like any PSU with higher wattage i put into this rig will work.

Here are my specs

PU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI X470 GAMING PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Elite 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 120 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 2 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX VEGA 64 8 GB Video Card
Case: Thermaltake Chaser MK-I ATX Full Tower Case
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

I will take any and all suggestions questions.

Thanks,
Florian

Hi all,

I've run into a very strange problem. When I upgraded my PSU(SeaSonic 750 PLUS gold) it won't even turn on. The fan spins for a millisecond and the MOBO light flicks on for the same amount of time then dies and unless I flip the switch at the back of the PSU I can press the switch any number of times and it won't matter, it won't flick on again.

My old PSU (Which still works and allows the computer to run) is a corsair 650 bronze but its about 6+ years old and semi modular and doesn't have the amount of PCIE slots in it to allow me to use 2 for my RX Vega 64 or an additional 4 pin for the CPU.

I have already tried testing the GPU and RAM to make sure they are good, which they are. I have tried my current rig on another PSU of lower Wattage (a 400 I had lying around).

I already went back to Micro Center and exchanged the PSU for another one of the same type and had the exact same problem when I returned. A few months ago I had tried a 1000W gold and it had the same problem as well. I can't remember the brand for that one

I already swapped out the MOBO with a Aorus b450 Pro Wifi and it didn't work with that one either.

Finally, I tried to get it to just boot if the only thing connected was the power cord and CPU cord and it would do the exact same thing and not turn on. I am super confused at the moment as I would like the upgrade my PSU to a slightly higher wattage and more modern model thats fully modular but at the moment it doesn't seem like any PSU with higher wattage i put into this rig will work.

Here are my specs

PU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI X470 GAMING PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Elite 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 120 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 2 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX VEGA 64 8 GB Video Card
Case: Thermaltake Chaser MK-I ATX Full Tower Case
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

I will take any and all suggestions questions.

Thanks,
Florian
You might have missed some connection, specially on PSU side.