Upgrading PSU on Gateway Slimline for new video card

jbrad627

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
Trying to upgrade a Gateway slimline SX2808-07 for some gaming for my son.
Purchased a Asus HD 6750 video card.
Apparently I need to upgrade the standard 220w power supply (won't display a thing).
Asus recommended 400w, preferably 450w. Any help with what psu will work would be appreciated.
Online retailer is fine, if there are any stores that might be in north texas area like a Frys, Altex, etc, I am sure my son would really appreciate getting it up asap.

Note to self..... don't purchase a slimline model again....

Thank you for any help!!!

John

For a system using a single Radeon HD 6750 graphics card AMD specifies a minimum of a 450 Watt or greater power supply. The power supply should also have a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 22 Amps or greater and have at least one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector.

Something like the following TFX form factor PSU may fit. You'll have to measure your existing power supply's physical dimensions to see if they match. The following power supply's dimensions are 3.4" Wide x 2.5" High x 7" Deep:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817338082

jbrad627

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
Nothing could really get it to where we needed. I was able to purchase a case and move the components over. Then upgrading the video card and the power supply was a snap.
By the way, on this particular machine, the Asus HD 6750 video card was not compatible for some reason. No big deal though since I was able to put something better in.