[SOLVED] Upgrading questions from an layman

Apr 2, 2020
Hello everyone!:)

for starters I am pretty knew to computers and have little experience with the components. That's why i hope posting here will help me with the decision ahead.

I have an ok-ish computer, that just won't do it for the future with VR in mind. I want to Upgrade and the first thing that came to mind was the GPU.
I have:
-GTX 1060 6gb from zotac
- intel i7700K 4.2GHz
- Asus H110M-R
- 16gb of ram

Should i upgrade the GPU or something else in the computer?

Thanks for taking the time and reading my tech-shabby ramblings :)

Solution
Remember the PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition...

The PSU is a critical component and must be able to support the computer's power requirements.

That includes all of the components you listed plus drives, cooling fans, etc. Any thing that requires power.

Total up the wattage requirements. If any given component has a wattage range - use the high end value.

For the GPU use the manufacturer's recommended PSU wattage.

Once totaled add 25% more and compare that final wattage to the existing PSU's rated wattage.

There are online calculators available to help with totaling up wattages. Try two or three of the calculators to determine a consensus wattage value.

Do some research and reading about PSUs:

For example...

Ralston18

Titan

The PSU is a critical component and must be able to support the computer's power requirements.

That includes all of the components you listed plus drives, cooling fans, etc. Any thing that requires power.

Total up the wattage requirements. If any given component has a wattage range - use the high end value.

Once totaled add 25% more and compare that final wattage to the existing PSU's rated wattage.

There are online calculators available to help with totaling up wattages. Try two or three of the calculators to determine a consensus wattage value.

For example:

https://pureinfotech.com/choose-power-supply-pc/

And go online and find the motherboard's User Guide/Manual. Objective being to learn about the motherboard and what it will and will not support. Details matter.

Be sure to read the fine print and all notes. You may also be referred back to the manufacturer's website for more information and updates.

Reactions: EduardWonka
Solution
Apr 2, 2020

For example:

https://pureinfotech.com/choose-power-supply-pc/

And go online and find the motherboard's User Guide/Manual. Objective being to learn about the motherboard and what it will and will not support. Details matter.

Be sure to read the fine print and all notes. You may also be referred back to the manufacturer's website for more information and updates.

Thank you very much, will do!

best wishes,
Edu