Upgrading R9 270: Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X V vapor V other R9 290s/GTX cards - $500

SteadyMercury

Honorable
Dec 18, 2013
Country of origin: Canada

Parts Preference: No preference for Nvidia or AMD. So long as the manufacturer is reliable I don’t have a preference for that either. I’ve identified the Sapphire R9 290 tri-x OC and Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-X as strong contenders but am open to other cards.

Budget: Top end of the budget is $500 before rebates, taxes etc. Would like to stay under that.

Preferred Websites: Amazon.com (I can import), Amazon.ca, Newegg.ca, Tigerdirect.ca, memoryexpress.ca, futureshop.ca, bestbuy.ca… Anyone else that will ship to Canada.

Purchase date: Today/Tomorrow (April 27th)

Usage: Gaming… This year games like Watch Dogs, The Division, Skyrim with Real Vision ENB, planning on a heavily modded Fallout 3 at some point as well.

Current GPU and power supply: Asus R9 270 DC2OC 2GD5 , Thermaltake Tough Power TP-750P 750W

Other relevant system specs: AMD FX-8320 (currently stock speed, overclocking soon) M5A99X Evo R2.0 , Team Dark Series 8gb DDR3 1600 (upgrading to 16gb). Case is a Rosewill REDBONE currently cooled by 2x 120mm fans and the CPU is cooled by a Cooler Master Evo 212.

Overclocking: Yes, but not beyond what the supplied GPU tool will manage in basic mode (I don’t want to mess with voltages). Intend to Crossfire/SLI to extend the life of the card down the line.

Monitor Resolution: Use a television so 1920x1080p

Additional Comments: Want to upgrade largely because of the ultra requirements for Watch Dogs… According to game debates an R9 290/GTX 780, i7 4770k/AMD FX 9370, 8gb memory. I figure if I can get to that ball park I should be fine for high/ultra settings for quite a while or hopefully the entire console generation with minimal future upgrades. When I bought my original GPU almost nothing else was in stock or at a decent price so I bought it intending to upgrade when the prices came down a bit.

Solution
Tri x r9 290 will be the best option. If you have enough patience you could get new 290x on bidding sites like eBay and that would be optimal. Either way, I would guess that either card should max out watchdogs.