Upgrading: R9 270X vs GTX 660

Arkanus

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2010
Greetings!

My AMD Radeon HD 6870 is fried after 3 years of use... and now it's time to get a new GPU.
Which one of these GPUs would be a good choice for gaming (besides some Photoshop work)?

-Sapphire DUAL-X R9 270X OC (which also includes 3 games, including Alien: Isolation)
-Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660
-Asus GTX660-DC2O-2GD5

Suggestions for other cards are always welcome. I'm willing to spend between $120 and $180. Also, I'm very concerned about temperatures, noise levels and power consumption.

These are my computer specs (in case they can be of help to determine a good choice of GPU):
-AMD Phenom II x4 970 (3.51 GHz)
-8 GB RAM
-Corsair HX850W

Solution
going for faster gpu will make the bottleneck much bigger. you'll be fine with heavily dependent gpu games but with games that rely more on cpu the bottleneck will show. as more and more demanding games comes out and tune more to new generation of console i think you should at least get i5 class of CPU. anyway 280 will be faster than 760. how much you can get for both card?

also you mention about flickering issue i think AMD GCN arch GPU have some kind of problem with this flickering and black screen issue. the flickering mostly affecting dx9 based games and it is an issue that has been acknowledge since last year. not sure if the fix already been roll out or not. and the black screen issue that they say have something to do with...

Arkanus

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2010
Thank you for the replies!

How's the 270X when it comes to temperatures, power consumption and noise, in comparison with the GTX 660?
My 6870 used to run at 72-75 Cº during load, so I'd be concerned if the 270X runs even hotter.

On a side note, my Phenom II x4 970 BE wouldn't cause bottleneck, right? Just making sure :)

Arkanus

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2010
How would a GTX 750 Ti OC perform in comparison with the GTX 660 OC and the 270X? I have been reading rewiews/comparisons and some of them recommend the GTW 750 (specially due to low power usage) while others recommend the other two.

The R9 270X sounds very tempting, although I'm heard something about a common issue involving blinking and artifacts with that card.

Thaisnang

Honorable

The 750ti is somewhat like the 650 ti boost. It is slower than 660 and 270X. As for the issues there can be issues with every card.You know bad batch.

even heavily oced 750Ti still a bit behind than stock 660. how much you can get for that 270X?

G

Get the sapphire one and oc it a bit. It will even reach gtx 760 performance. I have sapphire r9 270x toxic out of the box overclocked.

Arkanus

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2010
How's the Asus GeForce GTX 760 DirectCU II OC 2GB in comparison with the R9 270, specially when it comes to power consumption?

Two friends of mine are currently having flickering issues with their 270s and I have seen plenty of people who had to update their cards' BIOS to get rid (or try to) of those issues in 2013, although I don't know if AMD managed to fix that with the newest drivers.

Thaisnang

Honorable

760 is abit faster than r9 270X. But for that price range I'll recommend a r9 280/285/280X. The power requirements of both 760 and 270/270X is pretty much the same.

Arkanus

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2010
Thanks for the replies!

Between the GTX 760 and the r9 280 (if the bottleneck with my Phenom II X4 970 isn't too huge)... what brand should I aim for?

I like ASUS (or perhaps MSI) for the GTX 760 and Saphire for the R9 280 (Dual-X), but my choices are based on previous experiences with those brands. Suggestions are always welcome :)

going for faster gpu will make the bottleneck much bigger. you'll be fine with heavily dependent gpu games but with games that rely more on cpu the bottleneck will show. as more and more demanding games comes out and tune more to new generation of console i think you should at least get i5 class of CPU. anyway 280 will be faster than 760. how much you can get for both card?

also you mention about flickering issue i think AMD GCN arch GPU have some kind of problem with this flickering and black screen issue. the flickering mostly affecting dx9 based games and it is an issue that has been acknowledge since last year. not sure if the fix already been roll out or not. and the black screen issue that they say have something to do with power saving problem or brand of VRAM used on the board.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS