[SOLVED] Upgrading RAM -> Buying new module

Solution
You BEST bet would be to get the EXACT same part number as what you already have. Even then, there are no guarantees it will play nice BUT since 1600mhz is within the default JEDEC specifications, it is very likely that if you get the same model and part number, they will work together. Don't be terribly surprised if they don't play nice, but I think they will. If you were out of JEDEC spec with 1866 or 2133mhz DDR3 sticks, it would be a LOT less likely for them to want to work if they didn't come together in a matched set but even then, they might.

Always it is better to get ALL memory that will be in use in one set, but sometimes that isn't possible so it's worth a shot. Like I said, don't be terribly surprised if you have issues though.
You shouldn't mix different RAM, and you shouldn't even mix the same RAM either, because there's a slight chance that even the same modules might not work well with each other, but usually they work just fine. Still, if you can sell your current RAM and get 2x8 GB proper kit, then that'll pretty much be guaranteed to work with each other. If you're willing to take the risk, then buy the exact same module, don't get anything different - same speed, same latency, and same model.

You BEST bet would be to get the EXACT same part number as what you already have. Even then, there are no guarantees it will play nice BUT since 1600mhz is within the default JEDEC specifications, it is very likely that if you get the same model and part number, they will work together. Don't be terribly surprised if they don't play nice, but I think they will. If you were out of JEDEC spec with 1866 or 2133mhz DDR3 sticks, it would be a LOT less likely for them to want to work if they didn't come together in a matched set but even then, they might.

Always it is better to get ALL memory that will be in use in one set, but sometimes that isn't possible so it's worth a shot. Like I said, don't be terribly surprised if you have issues though.

Solution