[SOLVED] Upgrading RAM for old X58A-UD3R R2.0 Gigabyte Mobo

tritono9

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2010
Hi guys! Hope you are doing fine :)

I need your advice. I have an old X58A-UD3R R2.0 Gigabyte Mobo in my computer. I have this mobo since more than ten years

I have in it three 2GB 1333 DDR3 memorys in order to use the triple channel = 6GB of ram in total. I needed to upgrade the 6GB ram since many years, Im happy because today is the time!

But I dont have any clue about what to buy. I have three modules free availables to use. I want to have the max of memory that I can put in this mobo. I researched and seems that Gigabyte says 24GB is the max for this model

Can you help me? I dont know what ram/type of ram to buy, neither how I can take the more advantage of the modules. This mobo have 6 ram modules, 3 are for triple channel.

Thanks a lot in advance! Im very grateful for your advice :)

Solution
4GB DDR3 1600 will do the trick for 24GB, you just need six of them. Problem being no one is really still selling triple channel kits. I suggest ebay or other online marketplaces to locate what you need.

You can get a list of the actually tested memory here:

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-X58A-UD3R-rev-20/support#support-doc

Pretty limited though. Most 4GB Double sided DDR3 1600 sticks are likely to be just fine though. If you buy used memory you aren't risking too much.

Era appropriate, however, this is high voltage 1.65 volt memory, I personally would get 1.5 volt memory (Pretty sure running at 1.65 volt is what killed my X58 board after many years of service)...
So that old motherboard can support a whopping 48GB of ram. :) Here's everything you need to know:
http://wp.xin.at/archives/880

If you don't need that much ram, you can probably get a regular 16GB 2x8GB kit and be done with it. Or you can go all out and get 3x of the kits and do what was done in that link. :D Or you can get 3x 8GB kits for 24GB. Or you can get another 6GB kit and try to see if your older and the newer kit would work together for a total of 12GB.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
4GB DDR3 1600 will do the trick for 24GB, you just need six of them. Problem being no one is really still selling triple channel kits. I suggest ebay or other online marketplaces to locate what you need.

You can get a list of the actually tested memory here:

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-X58A-UD3R-rev-20/support#support-doc

Pretty limited though. Most 4GB Double sided DDR3 1600 sticks are likely to be just fine though. If you buy used memory you aren't risking too much.

Era appropriate, however, this is high voltage 1.65 volt memory, I personally would get 1.5 volt memory (Pretty sure running at 1.65 volt is what killed my X58 board after many years of service)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265288258783?hash=item3dc46994df:g:wdUAAOSwDt5hKe52

Six of these:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/TtjNnQ/samsung-4-gb-1-x-4-gb-ddr3-1600-cl11-memory-m378b5173db0-ck0

I believe 8GB sticks would need to be single sided only to work?

Solution

tritono9

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2010
Thanks alot for your help! Some time passed but finally I bought the RAM for the upgrade, yeah!

But I can't make it work :(, any help is very welcome! My pc specs

• Gigabyte X58A-UD3R r2.0
  • I7 920
  • Windows 10

Situation: I had 3x2gb 1333mhz of Corsair XMS3. I upgraded to G.Skills Ares 2400mhz 2x8GB (two pairs, 32GB in total).

Before I bought the mentionited RAM I researched your messages and the entire internet. Was supposed to not have problems with the upgrade if I ran the RAM at 2200mhz or so because my motherboard its compatible with 2200 and with this amount of ram (considering what I readed).

But I can’t go up more than 1600mhz. Any settings that I tried higher than 1600mhz the computer will reboot before show BIOS. If I turn on XMP the system will restart without even show the BIOS.

If helps of something I have 133x22 for my CPU (I don’t want to overclock because I don’t have the thermal conditions to do it. I only want to run the RAM at optimes values for my system)

Any help is very welcome

Thanks a lot!

Congrats on the awesome ram! If you didn't buy that new from an authorized distributor or genuine used elsewhere, there's a good chance it's fake and will need something like a voltage boost to work at 2200. I'm not experienced with overclocking ram or xmp, but have read a few recent threads where a voltage boost was necessary.

tritono9

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2010
Thanks very much Samir :D! I needed this ram upgrade since like ten years hehe. The ram are originals I suppouse! What you mentioned happened to me with my previous rams: rated at 1.5v but in order to achieve stability I had to turn the voltage higher to 1.66-1.68v. (without overclock, 1.333mhz).

Atm Im running the G Skill Aries at 1600mhz with 8-8-8-22 settings at 1.5v in triple channel (I pulled out one module in order to achieve a clean triple channel, Im using 24GB now). I tried several combinations of settings (limited by my actual knowledge) and the PC reboots before the BIOS (I have to clean the CMOS in order to exit from the reboot cycle). Tried 1.65, 1.66, 1.68, 1.70v without success. But I dont touch the very specific RAM paremeters because I dont know how to do it.

Maybe 1.600mhz, triple channel, 8-8-8-22 at 1.5v is the very best that I can reach with my actual X58A-UD3R r2.0? I mentioned that I have i7 920 CPU but I was wrong, I have the 930 model.

Thanks again for your help and time!

Its been a min since i played with my X58 board, but you need to play with the qpi/vtt voltages as well as the dimm voltage to make them stable.

a lot of those board will also do a reboot before the bios which its doing ram learning. It very well could be trying to figure out what speed and voltages work best. I dont think i ever put in 8GB sticks but when i switched from 2GBx6 to 4GBx6 my rampage 3 extreme would reboot multiple times before getting to the bios. Once had learned the ram it would boot to the bios every time.