[SOLVED] upgrading ram, freezing my pc at higher speed settings

slimgenre

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2012
I have recently swapped 2x8 3200 sticks for 2x16 4400 sticks Ripjaw V Series. My mobo is a msi z390 with i5 9600k.

When I leave my mobo bios at stock, which is 2666 at 1.20 volts, the pc works just fine. However, when I try to increase to 4400 at 1.50 volts (per manufacturer label) my pc will run fine for a few minutes, but consistently freezes. I have tried other voltage settings between 1.2 and 1.5 and same result. Turn it back to 2666 and no problems whatsoever.

I have tried both manually setting values in the bios as well as using the XMP and it happens either way. I have also checked for any bios updates and it is current per msi website. Is there another bios setting i'm missing? MSI website says the board will run 4400.

thanks for the help :)

Solution
MSI have a number of Z390 chipset boards, which one do you have? Speaking of motherboard's, what BIOS version are you currently on? As for your ram kit, mind sharing a link to the exact kit you own? Which slots are you populating on your motherboard with the new ram kit?

I'd try and make sure you're on the latest BIOS, then manually set the voltage to 1.45, then the frequency to DDR4-4400MHz without touching the timings and see if you can get the system to boot to OS GUI.

Lutfij

Titan
MSI have a number of Z390 chipset boards, which one do you have? Speaking of motherboard's, what BIOS version are you currently on? As for your ram kit, mind sharing a link to the exact kit you own? Which slots are you populating on your motherboard with the new ram kit?

I'd try and make sure you're on the latest BIOS, then manually set the voltage to 1.45, then the frequency to DDR4-4400MHz without touching the timings and see if you can get the system to boot to OS GUI.

Solution

slimgenre

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2012
Ram - https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820374173?Item=N82E16820374173
mobo - I have the z390 PRO (lowest tier in the family, if i'm not mistaken)

populating slot 2-4 per manual instructions

running version 7B98v1D - downloaded from https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/Z390-A-PRO/support#down-bios (there is a newer "beta" version that I have not updated to)

So last night I was trying different configurations to see if I could get it to run somewhere between 2666 and 4400. By setting my voltage at 1.45 and the correct latency numbers, I've gotten it completely stable at 4000 mhz. So somewhere between 4000 and 4400 there's a problem. I'm thinking that because 4400 is the highest my board is "rated" for, then that might be asking too much of the lower tier in the z390 family. I'm content leaving it at 4000, that's good enough for me and can't imagine the difference is much above zero, but I want to make sure I don't have to RMA the ram or there isn't some setting i'm missing somewhere.

If I'm happy with 4000, is there any reason I should continue worrying about it?

thanks again

TRENDING THREADS