[SOLVED] Upgrading RAM from 8GB to 16GB

Gasioulis

Distinguished
May 6, 2014
Hello to everyone reading, i currently own a laptop with 8GB of RAM and im looking to add 8GB more. Im uploading a screenshot with speccy + cpuid. Shall i add another 8GB of the same model or..? Looking forward for some answers :) Thanks in advance!

View: https://imgur.com/a/4CYI8LP

4CYI8LP

Solution
i would highly advise just going with a 2x8GB dual-channel kit instead. Unless you can ensure the RAM features the same exact same ICs, there's no 100% guarantee it'll work. However, if you are running a JEDEC kit of RAM, there's a much higher chance of another stick working either way because you aren't overclocking with an XMP profile. (so the risk is up to you)

Then all you need is a 3200MHz CL22 kit of RAM. Don't bother spending more money on lower CL memory with a XMP kit, unless your laptop can actually support XMP profiles.
i would highly advise just going with a 2x8GB dual-channel kit instead. Unless you can ensure the RAM features the same exact same ICs, there's no 100% guarantee it'll work. However, if you are running a JEDEC kit of RAM, there's a much higher chance of another stick working either way because you aren't overclocking with an XMP profile. (so the risk is up to you)

Then all you need is a 3200MHz CL22 kit of RAM. Don't bother spending more money on lower CL memory with a XMP kit, unless your laptop can actually support XMP profiles.

Solution