Question Upgrading ram in 3rd slot

Apr 17, 2019
Hi, I think I need to upgrade my ram. I have an MSI Z370 SLI plus mobo, and currently 2 x 4gb corsair vengeance 3000mhz. I want to get an 8gb stick of the same ram but will this cause issues using 3 sticks?

Thanks

It may or may not work, mixing RAM is never guaranteed too work even if you buy the exact same kit.

However assuming it would work you would move one of your 4gb sticks so both 4gb sticks are in either channel A or B and the new 8gb stick will go in the other channel. You want channel A and B to have equal amounts of RAM to utilise dual channel.

The guaranteed solution is to sell your existing RAM and buy a 2x8gb kit.

Apr 17, 2019
It may or may not work, mixing RAM is never guaranteed too work even if you buy the exact same kit.

However assuming it would work you would move one of your 4gb sticks so both 4gb sticks are in either channel A or B and the new 8gb stick will go in the other channel. You want channel A and B to have equal amounts of RAM to utilise dual channel.

The guaranteed solution is to sell your existing RAM and buy a 2x8gb kit.
Hmm well that sucks. What about another pair of 4gbs? Or is that just asking for trouble?

Apr 17, 2019
Again mixing RAM from different kits always carries a risk of issues. However getting the exact or very similar kit to your existing RAM reduces the chances of having issues.
Again mixing RAM from different kits always carries a risk of issues. However getting the exact or very similar kit to your existing RAM reduces the chances of having issues.
Yeah would be the exact same specs. Thanks for the help will bare it in mind.