Question Upgrading RAM in odd memory capacity, will it work ?

Aug 23, 2020
Hi,

I am upgrading DDR2 RAM capacity in my DG41RQ as 2 GB (installed one) with 4 GB (going to buy) so totally 6 GB RAM.
in odd memory capacity with same frequency. will it work better than just 2 GB or not
or
should i go 2 + 2 GB

System config
Intel E7500 processor with DG41RQ MB
2 GB 800 MHz
Windows 7 pro x64

My MB supports 8GB max memory that is 2x4GB.

I know its a old pc but i have no choice. need to prepare for my online classes with 2 days.

Last edited:

Schlachtwolf

Commendable
Jun 22, 2019
Probably not, RAM is sold in kits as they are tested and guaranteed to work. You could get a RAM kit this week and get another with the same timings, speed, maker model etc next week but they may not work together as they are made from a seperate silicon batch that may have a slightly different voltage tolerance for example. If you need more RAM get the 4 gb and leave out the 2 gb that is in.

On that board you can have maximum 8GB of DDR2 (long time since I wrote that), at a blistering 800mhz.

DDR2 RAM is cheap on e-bay or something like it, so have a look around.

Reactions: jacobroger
Aug 23, 2020
Probably not, RAM is sold in kits as they are tested and guaranteed to work. You could get a RAM kit this week and get another with the same timings, speed, maker model etc next week but they may not work together as they are made from a seperate silicon batch that may have a slightly different voltage tolerance for example. If you need more RAM get the 4 gb and leave out the 2 gb that is in.

On that board you can have maximum 8GB of DDR2 (long time since I wrote that), at a blistering 800mhz.

DDR2 RAM is cheap on e-bay or something like it, so have a look around.
but you know my friend's laptop has 4 (kingstone) + 2 GB RAM(hynix) with same speed,timing,voltage. im curious how could that be working well ?
its dell inspiron 3537 i3

Schlachtwolf

Commendable
Jun 22, 2019
It is not impossible, but not guaranteed. It might work but it is 50/50.... if you want to spent $ on a lottery ticket go ahead, but you asked WOULD it work and I wrote above it "may not" so the decision is yours. Only RAM sticks sold in kits are sure of working together out of the box.

Also laptops have a very different internal structure and RAM to your older mobo, the CPU also plays a roll in whether the RAM can run or not..... you can't compare apples and oranges

Reactions: jacobroger

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS