upgrading ram in triple channel?

PeterTLJr

Honorable
Apr 19, 2013
I have a intel x58 motherboard and it has 6 memory slots and i've been told its a triple channel but I want to upgrade the ram from 4gb to 8gb can I buy 2 4gb ram and only use 2 slots or must I fill all 3 of the white slots? hopefully this makes sense I'm not very good with computers.

Solution
In order to get triple channel function, three modules would be placed in the same colored slots. You can run one, two or more modules, your motherboard manual will explain which slots are best to use with various ram module configurations. The problem with using only two modules would be if you wanted to get triple channel function later since mixing and matching ram is not recommended (especially in the same channel). Even if an identical module is purchased later there is no guarantee of triple channel operation. To best insure that your computer will run in triple channel, I will suggest purchasing a matched triple channel kit of ram now - I'd be looking for a 12GB kit personally.
Hope it helps

PeterTLJr

Honorable
Apr 19, 2013

it has 4 sticks, 1gb each.

In order to get triple channel function, three modules would be placed in the same colored slots. You can run one, two or more modules, your motherboard manual will explain which slots are best to use with various ram module configurations. The problem with using only two modules would be if you wanted to get triple channel function later since mixing and matching ram is not recommended (especially in the same channel). Even if an identical module is purchased later there is no guarantee of triple channel operation. To best insure that your computer will run in triple channel, I will suggest purchasing a matched triple channel kit of ram now - I'd be looking for a 12GB kit personally.
Hope it helps

Solution

PeterTLJr

Honorable
Apr 19, 2013

I'm going to take your advice and go for 12gb. Now I have another question -- since I have a "mini-tower" will this affect which ram I buy? I'd like to get http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820161453&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&PageSize=10&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo
as long as it will fit.