[SOLVED] Upgrading Ram (May have to mix types)

fevanson

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2014
Greetings all,

I have an MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC motherboard running the latest bios revision with a Ryzen 2700x cpu installed.

I currently have 2 dimms of 8gb (16gb total) Crucial Ballistix Sport LT DDR4-3200 (Model: BLS2K8G4D32AESB) running on amd ryzen dram calculator fast settings (3200mhz xmp profile as the base).

I was wondering if I can mix ram, by adding 2 more dimms of 8gb of a similar brand/model/configuration as it seems as if BLS2K8G4D32AESB is out of stock or discontinued.

Solution
Even buying the exact same make and model isn’t guaranteed to work. If you want to guarantee no issues it would be best to sell your current RAM and buy a 2x16gb kit. Also when running 4 dimms you are more likely to have issues hitting 3000mhz or above.
Greetings all,

I have an MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC motherboard running the latest bios revision with a Ryzen 2700x cpu installed.

I currently have 2 dimms of 8gb (16gb total) Crucial Ballistix Sport LT DDR4-3200 (Model: BLS2K8G4D32AESB) running on amd ryzen dram calculator fast settings (3200mhz xmp profile as the base).

I was wondering if I can mix ram, by adding 2 more dimms of 8gb of a similar brand/model/configuration as it seems as if BLS2K8G4D32AESB is out of stock or discontinued.
It is hard to predict the outcome when you mix and match stick that may have different Speed, CAS latency, timings,voltage, brand, etc. and were not tested to work in tandem.
Half of the times a computer will run just fine when mixing different brands, sizes and speeds.
Motherboards might, automatically, underclock RAM stick to allow them to run together, so you wouldn't run into any issues.
I have encounter instances when mixing RAM caused the motherboard to refuse to work even when the RAM appear to have similar specs.
Even when they appear to be similar, the IC chips might come from different manufactures.
To be sure that RAM will work together you will have to buy RAM kits.
That's why manufacturers and vendors won't provide support for that configuration.

Reactions: fevanson
Even buying the exact same make and model isn’t guaranteed to work. If you want to guarantee no issues it would be best to sell your current RAM and buy a 2x16gb kit. Also when running 4 dimms you are more likely to have issues hitting 3000mhz or above.

Reactions: fevanson
Solution

fevanson

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2014

Thank you, I will run 2x8gb for now, and upgrade to 2x16gb when applications start to run terrible.

TRENDING THREADS