Question Upgrading RAM Questions

Michael3216

Commendable
Oct 28, 2016
I have a Gateway DX4860-UB33P desktop computer with the original four 2gp DDR3 RAM cards. I've upgraded the GPU to a GTX 1050 Ti and the power supply to match. I also have a 1tb SSD installed.

If I were to buy an 8gb RAM card, can I just replace it with one of the existing RAM cards? I don't need to download any software? Is all RAM the same physical size or do I need to buy a specific sized-RAM or a specific brand? I noticed the laptop cards appear to be more thin than the desktop cards. Is there any specific keyword I need to search to find a RAM card that works with my computer?

Would this work with my computer? https://www.amazon.com/CORSAIR-Veng...sr_1_3?keywords=8gb+ram&qid=1569339981&sr=8-3

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
I have a Gateway DX4860-UB33P desktop computer with the original four 2gp DDR3 RAM cards. I've upgraded the GPU to a GTX 1050 Ti and the power supply to match. I also have a 1tb SSD installed.

If I were to buy an 8gb RAM card, can I just replace it with one of the existing RAM cards? I don't need to download any software? Is all RAM the same physical size or do I need to buy a specific sized-RAM or a specific brand? I noticed the laptop cards appear to be more thin than the desktop cards. Is there any specific keyword I need to search to find a RAM card that works with my computer?

Would this work with my computer? https://www.amazon.com/CORSAIR-Veng...sr_1_3?keywords=8gb+ram&qid=1569339981&sr=8-3

General rule of thumb, is to never mix n' match RAM. If at all possible, you'd want a matching Kit. , 2x4GB, 2x8GB etc. You "may" be able to buy another 8GB strip and install it, but it may not run or if it does, you'll have poor performance.

For your desktop, here is the advised "official" RAM. You can of course buy them from other places like Amazon for example. Your mobo can have a max of 8GB installed at any given time.

Update - I forgot to mention that your system is DDR3L, not DDR4, so the above RAM you linked to will not work. Here. is an 8GB kit. (2x4GB)

Last edited: