Upgrading RAM: single sided vs double sided in terms of performance

Maximilianooo

Reputable
Mar 15, 2015
I'm looking forward to increasing my RAM memory, and after looking at the motherboard's specs, it says that it accepts both single sided and double sided RAM memories. The fact is: which of these types of RAM memories works better (supposing we had 2 models with the same gigs, the same frequency and the same CAS latencies)? If my idea is to add the new memory stick and make it work with the one I've got, what should I look at in order to avoid further incompatobility issues?

I know the difference between single-sided and double-sided memory sticks in terms of how they work and in terms of compatibility with different motherboards, but I find nothing related to performance

xidiliar

Honorable
Jul 12, 2013
Performance will be the same whether it is single or double sided. The problem your going to run into is installing a new stick with the one you already have. It's not a good idea to mix and match RAM. The best thing you could do is decide how much RAM you want, divide it by two, and then by a kit with two sticks in it. So say you want 8GB, buy a kit with two 4GB sticks. Install those and don't use the RAM you already have.