[SOLVED] Upgrading RAM to 16GB (4x4 GB) in ASRock B450 Pro 4

May 3, 2020
Hello everyone..
Hope you guys doing good in this COVID-19 pandemic situations.

I wanna ask about upgrading RAM.
So I'm using a Ryzen 3 2200G, Geil DDR-4 2x4 GB running on 2667mhz in ASRock B450 Pro 4 MoBo.

I bought another Geil 2x4 GB DDR4 (exactly same with currently im using) yesterday and put it in to A1 & B1 slot. But my PC wont boot up. So when I turn on the PC, my PC will try to boot but cant enter windows. If I take the additional RAM and using 2 slots like usual, my PC can works as usual.

Any ideas whats wrong and what should i do ? I'm thinking about selling the RAM but with this current situations its quite hard to sell..

Thank you for your attention :)

Solution
The problem is that even though the sets are exactly the same, the 4 sticks weren't picked to work together.

More sticks you add that aren't matched, less chance it works. If you want 4 sticks, you best off buying a pack of 4 as they should all work together.

Better off buying a set of 2 x 8gb to get same amount.

Colif

Win 11 Master
The problem is that even though the sets are exactly the same, the 4 sticks weren't picked to work together.

More sticks you add that aren't matched, less chance it works. If you want 4 sticks, you best off buying a pack of 4 as they should all work together.

Last edited:
Solution
May 3, 2020

Thanks bro i guess better to sell those RAM

N3wb13g

Honorable
Mar 2, 2017

More question, because I have the same plan as him.
Would it be related by clock of the memories? Read some forums that Ryzen got some advantages with mroe memory channels (4 channel better than 2), CMIIW. Thanks.

Colif

Win 11 Master
less chance of odd errors happening with ram that all matches, seems its more a question of the memory controllers being similar or identical, and voltages being the same. Timings likely come into it as well. FInding something that just tells you this out front is the hard part.

Short answer, yes, you can.

Long answer, well you can but you can run into issues like your system no longer booting at all or random errors. You do have to match memory generation though, e.g. no system supports running DDR3 and DDR4 modules at the same time. In terms of stability starting from most stable to potentially unstable, you have:
  • Matched pairs of RAM. Usually sold bundled together with 2/4/8 sticks of matching modules.
  • Multiple sticks of the same model RAM. E.g. you buy 8GB of 3200MHz DDR4 from Corsair and then a while later you buy anther identical stick
  • Multiple sticks of the same size/speed/timings RAM. You can run into issues here as not all modules are made the same.
  • Multiple sticks of different speeds/timings but same sized RAM. You have a higher chance of instability here, be sure to put the slowest RAM (go by speed rating then timings - higher timings = slower RAM with the same speed rating)
  • Multiple sticks of different speeds/timings/size RAM. Can be done but you do have a much higher risk of incompatibilities between the RAM modules and the potential to lose out on the performance boosting dual/quad channel memory (depends on your CPU, chipset, motherboard and BIOS/UEFI).

Basically, you can run multiple brands of RAM but do be aware that you need to put the slowest RAM in the lowest numbered memory slots and that you do face potential issues regarding compatibility.
https://www.quora.com/Can-I-mix-different-brands-of-RAM-if-they-both-have-the-same-speed-and-voltage