DragonBlood7

Reputable
Dec 15, 2015
Current specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.00GHz
GPU: GTX 1070 FTW
RAM: current ram (link to amazon)
MOBO: B150-PRO d3

My pc during gaming is running at 95% memory usage. I would like to upgrade to 16gbs of RAM. I was curious if it makes more sense to add 2 more sticks of ram to my existing 2 sticks, or should I just buy two 8gb sticks? I would have to adjust my CPU cooler to fit all 4 sticks of RAM into my PC, which wouldn't be difficult at all. I understand that having 4 sticks might slow me down a little more than just have 2, but price wise what makes the most sense and for the future? Thank you

Solution
Current specs:

My pc during gaming is running at 95% memory usage. I would like to upgrade to 16gbs of RAM. I was curious if it makes more sense to add 2 more sticks of ram to my existing 2 sticks, or should I just buy two 8gb sticks? I would have to adjust my CPU cooler to fit all 4 sticks of RAM into my PC, which wouldn't be difficult at all. I understand that having 4 sticks might slow me down a little more than just have 2, but price wise what makes the most sense and for the future? Thank you

For the future makes most sense to get 2 x 8 gigs. that way you have two slots for even further in the...

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
Current specs:

For the future makes most sense to get 2 x 8 gigs. that way you have two slots for even further in the future if you decide you want 32 gigs.

If you go 4 x 4 gigs you're at 16 with nowhere to go. If you're at 2 x 8 gigs you can go from 16 to 32.

I have 32 gigs there is no reason on God's green earth to do this, except maybe super intensive video editing, which I don't do. But I wanted to know what it felt like to have 32 gigs of ram. Much of my computer life I have been short of ram. In the old XP days you were capped! So now I luxuriate in wastefulness.

The short term view is to get 4 x 4 gigs because cheapest route to 16.

Greg N

Solution

TRENDING THREADS