[SOLVED] Upgrading RAM

Apr 1, 2020
I currently have a acer predator AG3-605-UR1D and I am upgrading the graphics card and I was planning on adding or upgrading the RAM in the desktop at the same time. I was wondering if I could upgrade to DDR3 ram. I know that currently it has DDR3 installed. I plan on running a GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER in it and I also am upgrading the power supply to a CX750M (i know its a bit overkill). Any help is greatly appreciated.

Intel Core i7-4770
GeForce GTX 760 (current)
12GB DDR3
2TB hard drive
Windows 10

Solution
Well, I want to upgrade to play new games on my pc with good graphics. Also, I just got a VR headset for a birthday present and that is the main reason for the upgrades. One of the reasons I was asking about the processor upgrade is to see if anyone knows what my motherboard is. I am pretty sure that it is an atx motherboard but I don't really know how to go about finding the parts that are compatible with it as when I look to see the what model the motherboard is in my system information all it says is acer motherboard. Also, when I play games that require a lot of power for graphics I noticed that my GPU gets up to about 80C and my CPU and motherboard get to about 60 or so. Are these temps going to damage my computer...

Jmusic88

Prominent
Mar 11, 2020
You can upgrade your RAM as long as your motherboard supports it (both compatibility and maximum size).

Use a program such as speccy, CPU-z or hwinfo64 to check which RAM you currently have installed, that will most likely be the one your motherboard can handle. Also hwinfo64 will tell you the maximum amount of RAM your motherboard can support, in case you are trying to max it out. Hwinfo64 has a similiar layout to 'windows device manager' so you'll have to navigate to your motherboard to find out. It may tell you what RAM it may support in case your current RAM is slower. Worst case just google your motherboard for specs.

You can make any RAM combinations you want. It is that adding extra memory is not guaranteed to work with your existing memory.

I'd advise against upgrading in a case with the little cooling. I would pick up a bare PC case with good air cooling to build around.

Jmusic88

Prominent
Mar 11, 2020
So if I can't switch to DDR4 what would be an upgrade for the RAM on my desktop?

If your current desktop uses slower DDR3 speeds, then you could use a faster DDR3 (DDR3 1333 vs DDR3 1866). Also if you have currently 12 GB RAM and your motherboard supports up to 32GB lets say, then you could add more RAM. The only thing is if you never max out your RAM usage, you may not see much of a difference.

If you want to speed up your PC, upgrade your HDD to an SSD. You will see noticeable difference with program loading, windows start up, program start ups etc. (as long as you install the programs on the SSD)

Apr 1, 2020
Ok, just wanted to make sure. That's a solid PSU - the green/black label, not so much.

Saying that, the CX750 is a bit overkill for the setup, and you'd be equally well served with a quality 450-550W PSU. Might save you a bit of money, if you can still return the CX750?

Depending on your specific location, I see the CX750 going for ~$95 these days.
There are CX450-550's available for <$70 and, at ~$95, a SeaSonic Focus+ Gold 550W would be a better quality unit all-round.

Regardless, the CX750 is fine for your needs (with the adapter), just overkill.
If your current desktop uses slower DDR3 speeds, then you could use a faster DDR3 (DDR3 1333 vs DDR3 1866). Also if you have currently 12 GB RAM and your motherboard supports up to 32GB lets say, then you could add more RAM. The only thing is if you never max out your RAM usage, you may not see much of a difference.

If you want to speed up your PC, upgrade your HDD to an SSD. You will see noticeable difference with program loading, windows start up, program start ups etc. (as long as you install the programs on the SSD)

How hard it is to upgrade from a HDD to a SDD?

Apr 1, 2020
It's pretty easy. You can either install a fresh new windows and start new. Or you can clone your HDD to your new SSD. The admin here USAFRet has a good step by step guide that you can find or I can copy paste it for you if you wish.

That would be awesome if you could copy and paste it here. I tried to look for it and couldn't find the guide. Thank you so much for your help!!!

Jmusic88

Prominent
Mar 11, 2020
Here you go.

Just a note: this text is NOT mine. It's a copy paste from USAFRet's explanation.

-----------------------------
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe all partitions on it.
This will probably require the commandline diskpart function, and the clean command.

Apr 1, 2020
So when I run speccy on my computer it tells me that this is my RAM
12.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28)
What would be a good upgrade for this RAM in my computer?
Also, what would be a good upgrade for my CPU? (for future reference)
Intel Core i7 4770 @ 3.40GHz

Jmusic88

Prominent
Mar 11, 2020
So when I run speccy on my computer it tells me that this is my RAM
12.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28)
What would be a good upgrade for this RAM in my computer?
Also, what would be a good upgrade for my CPU? (for future reference)
Intel Core i7 4770 @ 3.40GHz

Your current ram is DDR3-1600. Anything above the 1600 mhz value would be an upgrade. Go to https://www.crucial.com/store/system scanner, it will give you supported RAM for your motherboard. And will also give you a good indication of the maximum amount of RAM your motherboard can support. However, some motherboards are locked to specific speeds, so it may be locked to 1600 mhz so if you get any new ram that is higher than that, you may still be the same speed as your old RAM. Even if you upgrade it you may not even feel the difference. Are you running any memory intensive applications?

For the CPU, it all depends. You are currently using 4th Gen i7, anything newer is an upgrade. But again it may all depend on what your motherboard can support. You still haven't given us any details on what your motherboard is, so I won't even know what it can support. It'll take for you the same research as me to know what it can support. Type your motherboard model on google, I'm sure the first few specs will mention what Intel Gen it can use.

You seem very interested in 'upgrading' your computer, but what is your end goal? What is the purpose? Do you just want to have a fast computer that opens programs real quick? Or is it for a specific application?

The best upgrade you can make right now is not your RAM or CPU, but it's your hard drive. Upgrade it to SSD, it'll be an immediate upgrade. It all depends what is your intended use for your PC.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2020
Your current ram is DDR3-1600. Anything above the 1600 mhz value would be an upgrade. Go to https://www.crucial.com/store/system scanner, it will give you supported RAM for your motherboard. And will also give you a good indication of the maximum amount of RAM your motherboard can support. However, some motherboards are locked to specific speeds, so it may be locked to 1600 mhz so if you get any new ram that is higher than that, you may still be the same speed as your old RAM. Even if you upgrade it you may not even feel the difference. Are you running any memory intensive applications?

For the CPU, it all depends. You are currently using 4th Gen i7, anything newer is an upgrade. But again it may all depend on what your motherboard can support. You still haven't given us any details on what your motherboard is, so I won't even know what it can support. It'll take for you the same research as me to know what it can support. Type your motherboard model on google, I'm sure the first few specs will mention what Intel Gen it can use.

You seem very interested in 'upgrading' your computer, but what is your end goal? What is the purpose? Do you just want to have a fast computer that opens programs real quick? Or is it for a specific application?

The best upgrade you can make right now is not your RAM or CPU, but it's your hard drive. Upgrade it to SSD, it'll be an immediate upgrade. It all depends what is your intended use for your PC.

Well, I want to upgrade to play new games on my pc with good graphics. Also, I just got a VR headset for a birthday present and that is the main reason for the upgrades. One of the reasons I was asking about the processor upgrade is to see if anyone knows what my motherboard is. I am pretty sure that it is an atx motherboard but I don't really know how to go about finding the parts that are compatible with it as when I look to see the what model the motherboard is in my system information all it says is acer motherboard. Also, when I play games that require a lot of power for graphics I noticed that my GPU gets up to about 80C and my CPU and motherboard get to about 60 or so. Are these temps going to damage my computer components and how can I create a better cooling system? I don't want to go water-cooled.

Jun 16, 2019
You'll get little benefit from upgrading the ram. Get an SD at 512gb or better, and you'll need 1 more sata cable to install it in your system and some double sided tape.

The i7 4770 is the best processor you candy have, and really can't be upgrade without a new system.

A GTX 2060 super will run well but likely be a bit bottlenecked on some games, but don't worry as there will always be a bottleneck somewhere. If it runs hot just take off the side panel as oem systems have terrible thermals.

Jmusic88

Prominent
Mar 11, 2020
Well, I want to upgrade to play new games on my pc with good graphics. Also, I just got a VR headset for a birthday present and that is the main reason for the upgrades. One of the reasons I was asking about the processor upgrade is to see if anyone knows what my motherboard is. I am pretty sure that it is an atx motherboard but I don't really know how to go about finding the parts that are compatible with it as when I look to see the what model the motherboard is in my system information all it says is acer motherboard. Also, when I play games that require a lot of power for graphics I noticed that my GPU gets up to about 80C and my CPU and motherboard get to about 60 or so. Are these temps going to damage my computer components and how can I create a better cooling system? I don't want to go water-cooled.

You pretty much answered your own question.

Your best bet is to upgrade your GPU and your cooling first. RAM will do little effect as I mentioned early then.

Use hwinfo64 to figure out your motherboard. It should give you an idea which chipset it's using. Using that chipset, Intel whatever. You'll be able to research on which CPUs it can support. With that you could do an upgrade.

For cooling. 60C CPU temp under heavy gaming is actually pretty decent and normal. If you don't want water Cooled cooling, you could try liquid Cooled then.

For GPU temps, I'm no expert at that but some GPUs have a max of 90s. It has its built in cooling, changing it is probably oit of question. Better for you is to get better airflow. So install extra fans, or open your case. For example the GTX 2060 super will have a maximum thermal temperature of 89 C. So if you were to run 80C on that, it would be on the high side a bit. Better airflow will be your best bet.

Your original question was more meant on the RAM. So maybe posting another one only on the video card at the video card section will get you more results on that.

But to answer your RAM question. You won't see a difference so don't focus on that. Upgrading SSD will just give you faster loading times, but won't effect your fps. GPU will effect your fps and gaming experience.

CPU will be your bottleneck for good GPU and RAM. So use hwinfo64 to figure out your chipset/motherboard. You can post it here after and I can help you do the research (you could do the same obviously).

Solution