[SOLVED] Upgrading/replacing 6 year old gaming PC for $700

sroberti

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2012
My current PC is 6 years old, and I am looking to replace/upgrade most parts around the end of this year. I have taken some chugging while playing Fortnite on high settings and running Spotify, and low graphic fidelity on Apex Legends as signs it may be time to retire my current system. The current specs are as follows:

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB
SSD: Samsung 830 series 256 GB
PSU: Seasonic M12II 620W
RAM: Corsair Vengeance CML8GX3M2A1600C9 (8 GB)
Case: Corsair Carbide 500R

The main purpose of the PC is gaming, although I am not a hardcore PC gamer playing all of the newest games on ultra settings. However, I do aim to make this new build last a while as I did the current one.

I am looking for a decent/good PC while keeping the cost manageable, by hopefully re-using as many parts as possible. Aside from the case, could I also keep using the same PSU? And what about the HDD and SSD? My budget will be around $600-$700, although I could stretch that a little if that is worth it. Around 2.5 years ago I bought a BenQ XL2411Z monitor (1980x1080, 144 Hz) and will keep using that (at least until it breaks).

What would you advise me? I have looked around a little, and it looks like something similar to RX 580 + R5 2600(X) + decent MoBo is pretty strong and fits in my budget, but of course I will be looking more specifically around the end of the year.

Solution
1. Maybe, maybe not. Mining really drove up the prices before but now there a bit lower then the normal retail, got my Asus RX 580 Dual for $160 after taxes at a local Microcenter.

2. Overclocking will require you to get a better CPU cooler but something like the Cryorig H7 (should be like $35) would be enough for like a 4ghz OC. As for the guide and tools needed everything you need to know (and more) can be found in the Intel Temperature Guide by CompuTronix.

The 3rd gen Ryzen 3300 will have the same cores/threads as the Ryzen 2600 but will be clocked a bit higher and will be like $100. There will be other options but that would be a solid choice.

WildCard999

Titan
I'd overclock that 3570K as far as it will go with good cooling (4.2ghz maybe?) and see if that improves your FPS. Also replacing your GTX 670 with a RX 580 would be a good choice and would pair well with your CPU.

Besides replacing the GPU I see nothing else I'd recommend spending money on.

hutchl

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2014
I'd overclock that 3570K as far as it will go with good cooling (4.2ghz maybe?) and see if that improves your FPS. Also replacing your GTX 670 with a RX 580 would be a good choice and would pair well with your CPU.

Besides replacing the GPU I see nothing else I'd recommend spending money on.

Hes talking about future proofing, there is a lot of room for improvement here.

WildCard999

Titan
He stated that this upgrade was going to be towards the end of the year so in the meantime overclocking the CPU would be a good choice and then when the OP is ready to buy then they can grab a 3rd Gen Ryzen as that will be out by then.

94cra6z.png

sroberti

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2012
Thank you for your suggestions.

I have 2 concerns with this approach:
  1. If I replace the GPU now, won't the RX 580 get cheaper at the end of the year, so that either I could have saved money or upgraded to a better card within my budget?
  2. I have never overclocked before, and I am not sure if I'm comfortable doing it. I'm using the stock cooler now, what kind of cooling would I need?
Given that I don't mind extending the use of my current system until the end of the year, is it not always the best approach to wait as long as possible to buy parts?

Also curious about your 3rd gen Ryzen suggestion, will this fit in my budget? I can imagine that the brand new CPU will be more expensive than the ones out now.

WildCard999

Titan
1. Maybe, maybe not. Mining really drove up the prices before but now there a bit lower then the normal retail, got my Asus RX 580 Dual for $160 after taxes at a local Microcenter.

2. Overclocking will require you to get a better CPU cooler but something like the Cryorig H7 (should be like $35) would be enough for like a 4ghz OC. As for the guide and tools needed everything you need to know (and more) can be found in the Intel Temperature Guide by CompuTronix.

The 3rd gen Ryzen 3300 will have the same cores/threads as the Ryzen 2600 but will be clocked a bit higher and will be like $100. There will be other options but that would be a solid choice.

Solution
If you had an i7, i'd say wait but your whole platform needs more power for the latest triple A titles:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant
CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - B450 AORUS PRO WIFI (rev. 1.0) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($104.99 @ Newegg Business)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($174.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB OC Video Card ($346.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $776.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-02-13 16:53 EST-0500

Here is the list:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - B450M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($74.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI - Radeon RX VEGA 64 8 GB Air Boost OC Video Card ($379.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $689.86
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-02-14 00:21 EST-0500

GTX1080 and RTX2070 level performance with Vega64 within your budget.