Question Upgrading/Replacing my old parts - need a second opinion

Feb 14, 2019
Hello everyone,

I would like to upgrade my PC and would be very happy about input on what I had in mind so far.

Approximate Purchase Date: the sooner the better. My PC still works though so I could still wait for a couple of months if there is a good reason.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming while using streaming services like Twitch/Netflix/Youtube on my second monitor. Working, listening to music...the usual stuff.

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: CPU, Mobo, RAM...power supply if neccessary

Do you need to buy OS: No

Overclocking: Yes, as an option if it becomes necessary

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: I am satisfied with parts that won't need replacement in less than 5 years. I also don't mind playing video games on less then Ultra-setting. Games I look forward to are Anno1800 and TW: Three Kingdoms, might also look into Lost Ark if it ever comes to the west.

Why Are You Upgrading: 2 weeks ago my PC didn't boot up anymore. Un- and replugging the power supply cabel from the mobo eventually "fixed" it. The PC boots up again but takes more than a minute instead of 5 sec (I am using a SDD).
Anyway, since most parts of my pc are more than 7 years old and the problem seems to be with the mobo, cpu or power supply, I decided I might aswell upgrade everything except my graphics-card, which I have upgraded 2 years ago.

My Current setup:

GraCa: 6GB Palit GeForce GTX 1060 DUAL Aktiv PCIe 3.0 x16 1xDVI / 1xHDMI 2.0 / 3xDisplayPort (Retail)
CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K 4x 3.30GHz So.1155 BOX
Power Supply: 530 Watt be quiet! Pure Power L7 Non-Modular 80+
RAM: 8GB (2x 4096MB) TeamGroup Elite DDR3-1333 DIMM CL9-9-9-24 Dual Kit
Mobo: ASRock Z68 Pro3 Intel Z68 So.1155 Dual Channel DDR3 ATX Retail
Cooling Device: Scythe Mugen 3 AMD und Intel (SCMG-3000)

The Parts I have been looking at are:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 2600
Mobo: Any 350B (don't really see the point in anything superior)
Ram: 2x4 GB DDR4 as I don't know if I'll ever need more than 8 and if I do I can still simply by 2 more.
Power Supply: 530W Should be plenty, Will only replace it if it is the reason for the troubles I have had the last couple of days.

What I wanted to ask you most is, if it makes sense to wait for the 3rd gen of Ryzen CPUs and the new Motherboards with PCi4.0 technology (whatever that means).
And what are the differences between the numerous 350B mobos on the market? And is there actually a good reason for me to buy a for example a 450B mobo instead?
Should I go with a 2666HZ Ram or is less good enough?

I am not decided on anything yet so feel free to recommend whatever you think I should get with what I need from a PC.

If you want an upgrade now, then dont wait on the 3rd gen Ryzen chips. My guess is they will be good, but it looks like it will be summer till they are ready. But dont wait for PCIe 4.0. You will have more than enough bandwidth at 3.0.

As for the motherboard, I would recommend getting a b450 board over the b350 because in order to run the 2600 on a b350 board, you will need to update the bios. In order to update the bios, you will need 1st gen Ryzen CPU. The 400 series boards also have better RAM compatibility. So save yourself a headache and get a b450 board as they are very similar in pricing.

If you are gaming on this rig then you will see a benefit of 16gb of RAM. Many AAA games now recommend 16gb of RAM. You dont need more than 16gb, but having more than 8 is suggested. Ryzen CPUs also scale well with high speed RAM. So I would recommend 3000mhz or higher. If you go with less, then you will lose performance with your CPU.

Captaingadget

Reputable
Jan 20, 2017
I would recommend changing your PSU as well, the one you have currently isn't very good and you don't want it to wreck a brand new rig. Agree with feelingfroggy you want to be looking at 4 series mobo and fast RAM. Your 1060 should be good enough for gaming at 1080p at medium to high settings on most games for a year or two yet.

Feb 14, 2019
Thank you for your responses, now I am glad I asked.

Regarding the Motherboard, I am kinda lost on which one I should get.
There are so many different ones and I don't really want to buy an amazing high end motherboard for 150$ with features I won't ever use.

The ASRock MicroATX Motherboard (B450M-HDV) for 70$ looks good enough to me but I might be overlooking something important.
Another thing worth mentioning is that I won't buy a new CPU other than the 2600 in the near future.
When the day comes for the next upgrade the AM4 slot will probably be outdated again.

Regarding the Power Supply I have no idea whatsoever which one I should get.
Probably won't go over 500 Watt.

I'll probably get the Ryzen 2600 as my new CPU then.
Together with a fitting MB and 16 GB RAM that should be enough for my needs the next couple of years.

You dont need to spend a bunch of money on a motherboard, but I would suggest a board with 4 DIMMs. So I would not go with the B450M-HDV. With only two RAM slots, you will be limiting yourself on upgrades. The Asrock Pro4 b450 is a decent budget board. I also like the MSI Tomahawk, but it will be a little bit more. Not sure where you are located, but this is what I would go with in the US.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/V3vxvn
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/V3vxvn/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock - B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($69.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair - CX (2017) 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $344.86
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-02-15 08:25 EST-0500