[SOLVED] Upgrading Router

jaxstraww

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
I have a Netgear R8000 from what feels like 10 years ago. Entire house seems to be wifi enabled including Nest cameras and even my new washing machine.

I have a Samsung S10 so I can take advantage of wifi 6.

Can someone familiar with this set up talk to me about the Archer and the other Netgear wifi6 routers as a replacement. Like to be talked up on making an upgrade.

I'm on the Verizon FiOS gig plan.

Solution
I run Ethernet from the ONT so no modem in the house. I do have a few unmanaged switches to accommodate the wired connections.
If you have ethernet cabling, then adding MORE WIFI sources is the best answer. Trying to put all your wireless devices on a single WIFI source is not optimum. Buying 3 inexpensive used routers to APs is much better than paying for a "mega" router.

kanewolf

Titan
I have a Netgear R8000 from what feels like 10 years ago. Entire house seems to be wifi enabled including Nest cameras and even my new washing machine.

I have a Samsung S10 so I can take advantage of wifi 6.

Can someone familiar with this set up talk to me about the Archer and the other Netgear wifi6 routers as a replacement. Like to be talked up on making an upgrade.

I'm on the Verizon FiOS gig plan.
Do you have any ethernet infrastructure in the house?

kanewolf

Titan
I run Ethernet from the ONT so no modem in the house. I do have a few unmanaged switches to accommodate the wired connections.
If you have ethernet cabling, then adding MORE WIFI sources is the best answer. Trying to put all your wireless devices on a single WIFI source is not optimum. Buying 3 inexpensive used routers to APs is much better than paying for a "mega" router.

Solution