[SOLVED] Upgrading Ryzen 1600 to 3600- new motherboard needed as well? 2070 super GPU.

Sewellay

Reputable
Aug 2, 2017
I have recently upgraded my GPU to a 2070 super. Im currently running it with a ryzen 5 1600- however I am looking to upgrade this to a 3600 after reading reviews. Is it worth spending more on a ryzen 7? If i went with a ryzen 5 would I need to upgrade the motherboard? Currently running a Asus Prime B350-PLUS- which is compatible with the new CPU.
Any suggestions welcome :)

Last edited:
Solution
If i went with a ryzen 5 would I need to upgrade the motherboard? Currently running a Asus Prime B450-PLUS AM4- which is compatible with the new CPU.
Seem like you answered your own question. Depending on your current BIOS you may need to flash it but it will work with ryzen 3000 series once it has the correct BIOS. And if you are strictly gaming, a 3600 is all you need and ryzen 7 wouldn’t really provide much of a benefit if any

johnsoner13

Respectable
If i went with a ryzen 5 would I need to upgrade the motherboard? Currently running a Asus Prime B450-PLUS AM4- which is compatible with the new CPU.
Seem like you answered your own question. Depending on your current BIOS you may need to flash it but it will work with ryzen 3000 series once it has the correct BIOS. And if you are strictly gaming, a 3600 is all you need and ryzen 7 wouldn’t really provide much of a benefit if any

Solution

Sewellay

Reputable
Aug 2, 2017
Thanks mate. So should I update the BIOS BEFORE I buy the CPU to make sure that it is compatible? PC part picker says Upgrading the 'BIOS may require a different CPU that is supported by older BIOS revisions.' I dont wanna buy the CPU for it to not work obviously :sweatsmile: Will updating the BIOS with my current CPU cause any issues?

Sewellay

Reputable
Aug 2, 2017
You will have to upgrade the BIOS on your B450 motherboard for any 3xxx CPU.
Thanks mate. So should I update the BIOS BEFORE I buy the CPU to make sure that it is compatible? PC part picker says Upgrading the 'BIOS may require a different CPU that is supported by older BIOS revisions.' I dont wanna buy the CPU for it to not work obviously :sweatsmile: Will updating the BIOS with my current CPU cause any issues?

johnsoner13

Respectable
Well first off depending on when you bought the board you might already have a BIOS compatible with ryzen 3000. According to the manual,version 1201 and later supports ryzen 3000. Read through this https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-B450-PLUS/HelpDesk_BIOS/
As long as you keep your current CPU when you buy your new one, you can flash the BIOS after you buy it because you’ll still have your working compatible CPU to flash it

Sewellay

Reputable
Aug 2, 2017
Well first off depending on when you bought the board you might already have a BIOS compatible with ryzen 3000. According to the manual,version 1201 and later supports ryzen 3000. Read through this https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-B450-PLUS/HelpDesk_BIOS/
As long as you keep your current CPU when you buy your new one, you can flash the BIOS after you buy it because you’ll still have your working compatible CPU to flash it
Made a typo btw my motherboard is a b350 plus... i bought my motherboard back in 2017 and havent updated the bios since so im guessing im gona need to update!