[SOLVED] Upgrading ryzen 1700 to Ryzen 9 3800x b350m-e Asus motherboard

stephenlatimer7

Commendable
Jun 24, 2018
I have a new CPU coming in next few days and quite excited but have a few concerns.

Checked the motherbaord page to check compability. Said that anything up to the 3900xt/pro are supported with bios upgrade which I have done. So all good in that respect. When buying it from Amazon it said in description thaty a 400 of 500 chipset is needed? Surely the manufacturer will know best?

Suddenly is cooling. I've order some thermal past and a cooler as below.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07QR34DNV/ref=pe_942301_45935681_TE_item

Will it be any better than the stock coler than I have? The current ryxen just uses stock cooler and has been fine. Not OC'ed

Lastly I have a 600 watt PSU. I think this chip will use a bit more than previous and my intention as the next upgrade is a new GPU. Mid/high end so something like a 2080ti or 3600.

Would 600W be likely to be enough. Adding a PSU would be the biggest hassle.

Thought please?

Last edited:
Solution
Get a b550 mobo, the mobo you have was built for 1st gen Ryzen and not 3rd gen. This is what happens when older and newer hardware are put together, one or both struggle. I would go with Count Mike, get the 3600x on a nice b550 or x470 mobo. Any half decent AIO cooler even in 120mm costs more than 39 quid, the brackets look dodgy, the fan will have zero static pressure as it does not cover the radiator. I would get a Scythe Mugen for 10 quid more, hell even a basis beQuiet Pure Rock 2 would do a better job most likely.
I have a new CPU coming in next few days and quite excited but have afew concerned.

Consthe motherbaord page to check compability. Said that anything up to the 3900xt/pro are supported with bios upgrade which I have done. So all good in that respect. When buying it from Amazon it said in description thaty a 400 of 500 chcipset is needed? Surely the manufacturer will know best?

Suddenly is cooling. I've order some thermal past and a colour as below. Will it be enough? The current ryxen just uses stock cooler and has been fine. Not OC'ed

Lastly I have a 600 watt PSU. I think this chip will use a bit more than previous and my intention as the next upgrade is a new GPU. Mid/high end so something like a 2080ti or 3600.

Would 600W be likely to be enough. Adding a PSU would be the biggest hassle.

Thought please?
I wouldn't even try a 12 core Ryzen on an MB with such bad VRM even if it's compatible. It would power throttle like crazy and heat up even worse. For gaming you'd probably get just about same performance with 3600x for instance.

stephenlatimer7

Commendable
Jun 24, 2018
I wouldn't even try a 12 core Ryzen on an MB with such bad VRM even if it's compatible. It would power throttle like crazy and heat up even worse. For gaming you'd probably get just about same performance with 3600x for instance.

Really? I know the MB is not ideal but surely cant be just the same on a far superior CPU? If so then its going back or I will but a new rig?

Its mainly gaming I would need for. Currently setup on ryzen 1070 and gtx 1080 is getting dated so will need investment. I can always try and if it doesnt help put it into new rig and sell of the old one. I just like my old one. Great case, leads of spce inside and the SDD and IDE drives are setyup just how I want them.

stephenlatimer7

Commendable
Jun 24, 2018
Im with you know actually. The difference between a 3600 and 3800would be negligible other than price.

Does it need fancy cooloing or would what I have suggested be fine. Im not a heavy users. Just a few hours in evenings /weekends

Really? I know the MB is not ideal but surely cant be just the same on a far superior CPU? If so then its going back or I will but a new rig?

Its mainly gaming I would need for. Currently setup on ryzen 1070 and gtx 1080 is getting dated so will need investment. I can always try and if it doesnt help put it into new rig and sell of the old one. I just like my old one. Great case, leads of spce inside and the SDD and IDE drives are setyup just how I want them.
Well, all 3000 series Ryzen have very similar single core performance and most today's games don't use more than 4 cores.
That MB has poor VRM which is not even properly cooled. 3800XT can pull upwards of 150W of electrical power, that VRM would be kicking and screaming to meet it.
That proposed AIO 120mm cooler is not much if any better than OEM coolers, I have hard time keeping my 3700x cool enough to get full performance with better 240 cooler. Gotta keep them under 70c to get full performance. at 80c boost is already at minimum or less.

stephenlatimer7

Commendable
Jun 24, 2018
Thanks - Is this totally pointless then?

Is there a better CPU cooler which might help or a system cooler?

Just trying to weight up whether to upgrade or now.

I've ordered the items but can be sent back. Cant be bothered with a complete rebuild so might see if local store as still doing work but just not open.

Decent motherboard might be £100 well spent heaving read the above. Tempting to try if briefly just to see what the outcome is. Suspect the 1700 might be the problem. I had a 1060 6gb and swapped for a 1080 (not ti). Improvement was hardly noticeable. Few fps increase. Could be bottlenecks of just dated equipment.

Thanks - Is this totally pointless then?

Is there a better CPU cooler which might help or a system cooler?

Just trying to weight up whether to upgrade or now.

I've ordered the items but can be sent back. Cant be bothered with a complete rebuild so might see if local store as still doing work but just not open.

Decent motherboard might be £100 well spent heaving read the above. Tempting to try if briefly just to see what the outcome is. Suspect the 1700 might be the problem. I had a 1060 6gb and swapped for a 1080 (not ti). Improvement was hardly noticeable. Few fps increase. Could be bottlenecks of just dated equipment.
R7 1700(x) is from first gen so not as sophisticated as later ones. 3600x would serve you fine without changing anything else, unless you are going to OC it even that cooler will serve you or just a half decent air cooler. Like this one for instance https://www.arctic.de/en/Freezer-34-eSports-DUO/ACFRE00060A

stephenlatimer7

Commendable
Jun 24, 2018
Well disaster has struck.

CPU arrived this morning so run some tests on old run to compare.

Installed new one and not a lot happens. Graphics card flicks and then stops. Tried a few times and the same.

Didn't want to mess about too much. Got it's running with a bit of tricky but no VGA output at all. Different monitors and cables.

Put the 1700 in and no video on it either now!! Checked all connections several times. All fans going as normal but nothing came out.

Really need help cos in worse if than when I started

Bios was upgraded a few weeks back. Done an upgrade years ago when was seamless.

Few people have reported the same but no solution has been provided.

HELP!

Get a b550 mobo, the mobo you have was built for 1st gen Ryzen and not 3rd gen. This is what happens when older and newer hardware are put together, one or both struggle. I would go with Count Mike, get the 3600x on a nice b550 or x470 mobo. Any half decent AIO cooler even in 120mm costs more than 39 quid, the brackets look dodgy, the fan will have zero static pressure as it does not cover the radiator. I would get a Scythe Mugen for 10 quid more, hell even a basis beQuiet Pure Rock 2 would do a better job most likely.

Last edited:
Solution

stephenlatimer7

Commendable
Jun 24, 2018

Thanks. Will consider if need be but my original setup is not working now.

Would be happy to get old setup working but it's just not churning out video.