[SOLVED] Upgrading Ryzen 3 2200G

May 6, 2020
Hi all,

Sorry bit lost with this. I'm sure its an easy answer for someone here though!! £250 - £300 budget.

I want to upgrade me PC can I have some advice on what you think the best solution is regarding graphics card and if I need to upgrade the processor in order to do so. Heres what I'm dealing with - would like to be able to play more current gaming titles and speed everything up.

AMD Ryzen 3 2200G with radeon Vega Graphics 3500MHz 4 Core
There's also a Nvidia Graphics card Gforce GT710 but I find that worse than the radeon so I've tried to make sure games use the radeon
No SSD just a standard 1TB harddrive I believe
8gb RAM

Thanks in advance!! Let me know if you need more info to help - I just want to know whats best to buy to upgrade, there's a vacant memory slot so I know thats one of the first things to address.

Cheers

Last edited:
Solution
can I have some advice on what you think the best solution is regarding graphics card and if I need to upgrade the processor in order to do so.
Get graphics card first. See, how that performs.
GTX 1660 Super would be my choice here. It requires 450W PSU minimum.
Then decide on cpu upgrade.

What make/model PSU do you currently have. It might need upgrade too.

LightGenjo

Reputable
May 7, 2020
if your motherboard supports 3th gen ryzen, then ryzen 5 3600x is probably the best pick. If your motherboard only supports 1th and 2th gen ryzen, then ryzen 7 2700x. Both are overclockable.

LightGenjo

Reputable
May 7, 2020
yeah, at least 256gb of ssd storage would probably be good for a boot drive. I personally have Intel ssd pro 1500 series 256gb as my boot drive, and two 1tb hdd.

May 6, 2020
if your 300£ budget is for both cpu and gpu, the rx 580 4gb is a good card with the ryzen 5 2600.

thanks for the help!
This is where my understand fails!! So to upgrade the Radeon I have I need to replace the cpu as it’s integrated yes? So essentially buying a new cpu with gpu will do the trick?

can I have some advice on what you think the best solution is regarding graphics card and if I need to upgrade the processor in order to do so.
Get graphics card first. See, how that performs.
GTX 1660 Super would be my choice here. It requires 450W PSU minimum.
Then decide on cpu upgrade.

What make/model PSU do you currently have. It might need upgrade too.

Solution
I have the ryzen 5 3400G which Ive used for quite awhile without a GPU but have recently started gaming a little so I bought a RX 570 as a bit of an upgrade and the difference has been huge! When using a gpu with a cpu that already has integrated graphics, it just no longer uses the vega 11 and uses the gpu to image instead.(just swap the hdmi cable from the motherboard to the gpu.)

LightGenjo

Reputable
May 7, 2020
or do I just get a new cpu and replace the GeForce and run with one graphics card?

Let me explain this. So first, check how many watts there comes from your PSU. Then check, if there comes a 8-pin or 6+2 pin pci-e additional power cable from the PSU. After that, I would buy first a gpu like 1650 super or rx 580 8gb. If the games perform well, then you should keep that setup. If not, buy ryzen 5 2600, and try again. If you need build help, i can send part-to-part picks to install the gpu and the new cpu. I can also send a pic how you check your psu wattage and does there come a pci-e additional power cable out. DM me for the pics.

Last edited:

LightGenjo

Reputable
May 7, 2020
Let me explain this. So first, check how many watts there comes from your PSU. Then check, if there comes a 8-pin or 6+2 pin pci-e additional power cable from the PSU. After that, I would buy first a gpu like 1650 super or rx 580 8gb. If the games perform well, then you should keep that setup. If not, buy ryzen 5 2600, and try again. If you need build help, i can send part-to-part picks to install the gpu and the new cpu. I can also send a pic how you check your psu wattage and does there come a pci-e additional power cable out.

450+ watts is enough