Question Upgrading Ryzen processor

Nov 27, 2022
I upgraded to the 5900x processor. In the first boot it asked me about fTPS settings. I couldn't remember if they were set so I said they weren't. The computer booted into Windows fine. After rebooting it will not find the hard drive and gets stuck in bios. I have reset CMOS, set the drive to legacy but nothing will show the drive in the boot menu. If I put the old processor in everything works fine. Any suggestions?

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
There is a lot left to guess about here.

If it boots with the old processor you could boot to the BIOS and see what all the appropriate settings are, jot them down and make sure they are set that way after the part swap.
Of course, without knowing what you are working with we are throwing darts at a cork board...

I upgraded to the 5900x processor. In the first boot it asked me about fTPS settings. I couldn't remember if they were set so I said they weren't. The computer booted into Windows fine. After rebooting it will not find the hard drive and gets stuck in bios. I have reset CMOS, set the drive to legacy but nothing will show the drive in the boot menu. If I put the old processor in everything works fine. Any suggestions?
Assuming you already updated BIOS for the new processor....it could be enabling Secure Boot and UEFI mode operation. Try going into BIOS and look for a setting that enables CSM mode, or Compatibility Mode, or just disables UEFI mode.

If that gets you going again then you'll have to convert your system drive to GPT partitioning scheme to enable Secure Boot and UEFI mode.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Assuming you already updated BIOS for the new processor....it could be enabling Secure Boot and UEFI mode operation. Try going into BIOS and look for a setting that enables CSM mode, or Compatibility Mode, or just disables UEFI mode.

If that gets you going again then you'll have to convert your system drive to GPT partitioning scheme to enable Secure Boot and UEFI mode.
Also, ensure that fTPM is enabled while looking about.

Nov 27, 2022

CSM is set to both UEFI and legacy. No matter what I set it to it won't see the drive

Nov 27, 2022
If talking about a HDD, make sure both the SATA power and data connections are properly attached to the HDD. Those can get easily dislodged during maintenance. Also verify the SATA data connection to the motherboard itself.
It's an mvne drive. I literally just installed it a month ago and put a fresh copy of windows 10 on it. Then 2 days ago I put the new processor in and after the first start the mvne is no longer visible unless I put the old processor back in. I'm almost sure it has to do with ftpm but I'm not sure I understand how that all works.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
It's an mvne drive. I literally just installed it a month ago and put a fresh copy of windows 10 on it. Then 2 days ago I put the new processor in and after the first start the mvne is no longer visible unless I put the old processor back in. I'm almost sure it has to do with ftpm but I'm not sure I understand how that all works.
What are the complete specs for this system (make/model of all installed components)? What version of Windows?

Nov 27, 2022
What are the complete specs for this system (make/model of all installed components)? What version of Windows?
New processor is Ryzen 9 5 5900x, ROG crosshair vi hero, 64g of RAM 2TB wd black sn850x mvne GeForce GTX 1060 video card. Again, the only thing I changed was the processor. Even after changing it all worked fine till I rebooted the first time. The first time booting I got the ftpms warning.

Nov 27, 2022
New processor is Ryzen 9 5 5900x, ROG crosshair vi hero, 64g of RAM 2TB wd black sn850x mvne GeForce GTX 1060 video card. Again, the only thing I changed was the processor. Even after changing it all worked fine till I rebooted the first time. The first time booting I got the ftpms warning.
Windows 10 pro

Nov 27, 2022
Windows 10 pro
So here's something interesting. I have the mvne partitioned with windows installer on 50mb and the os on the rest. I just rebooted and it went to the windows installer. I picked upgrade, install and keep files. It then says: the upgrade option isn't available if you start your computer using Windows installation media. If a copy of Windows is already installed on this computer and you want to upgrade, remove the installation media and restart your computer after Windows has started, normally insert the installation media and run Windows setup.

Nov 27, 2022
So here's something interesting. I have the mvne partitioned with windows installer on 50mb and the os on the rest. I just rebooted and it went to the windows installer. I picked upgrade, install and keep files. It then says: the upgrade option isn't available if you start your computer using Windows installation media. If a copy of Windows is already installed on this computer and you want to upgrade, remove the installation media and restart your computer after Windows has started, normally insert the installation media and run Windows setup.
I'm wondering if trying a clean install will work and resolve the issues.

Nov 27, 2022
Can you access the BIOS and does the BIOS see the NVME SSD?

What is the actual BIOS version you have installed?
Ok, I know I sound crazy but I've done this like 100 times. For some reason it now suddenly sees the drive and is booting. Frankly I have no idea what I did differently. Everything appears to be working now and I've restarted several times and it has gone in every time. The BIOS is setting the nvme again. Thanks all for working with me on this.

Nov 27, 2022
So this gets more frustrating. I was playing around and opened BlueStacks and the computer crashed. It's never done this with BlueStacks in the past. After force restarting it the BIOS once again will not find the drive. What the heck is going on?