Upgrading soon: Looking for pointers

dPexx

Commendable
Oct 15, 2016
Hi, looking for some answers regarding upgrading my CPU.

Currently running an i5 4570, GTX 1070 with 16gb DDR3. I'm looking to upgrade to an i7 as i've had my i5 over 3 years now and feel i need an upgrade. However, i'm torn between the 4790k and 7700k. I'd rather not spend the money on a new mobo and ram, but will the 4790k last me? I'm just thinking with games getting ever more demanding, i'm not sure i should be buying a 4 yr old CPU.

I'm so undecided. Help?

Solution
I would wait to buy anything, if you're not a content creator then your current CPU is fine. At least wait until the ryzen 6 and 4 cores get released to make your decision. The 4790k is a great cpu, but I'd suggest trying to buy something later after cannon lake comes out, you'll be missing out on some features if you don't.
I would wait to buy anything, if you're not a content creator then your current CPU is fine. At least wait until the ryzen 6 and 4 cores get released to make your decision. The 4790k is a great cpu, but I'd suggest trying to buy something later after cannon lake comes out, you'll be missing out on some features if you don't.

Solution

NorseVikingr

Reputable
Sep 19, 2016
The 4790k has been the best CPU for a long while now. But so has others in their times. It won't last you another 4 years (Probably). I would stick with the 6000 series for Intel I7's in my opinion. The 7 series so far from what i've seen, has been riddled with problems, and still "untested" in a lot of problems. I see problem after problem from them, because they're so new, no one really knows what's next. The 6 series is also 1151 LGA socket, and really isn't that far from the 7 series. I got my 6700k because it was the newest out from Intel, i knew their 7 series was coming, but i'm always skeptical over brand new things because you'll never know what's gonna hit you.

dPexx

Commendable
Oct 15, 2016

Does the 6 series support DDR3 RAM? I've read that the 6th & 7th series can be damaged if you're using DDR3 because of the higher voltages associated with it.